Hedgehog and me v 'Houdini' cat!!!

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,672
I have had a hedgehog feeding station in my garden for several years and had no problems with cats accessing the food.......until now!
One of my neighbours cats has turned into a 'Houdini' cat! All summer I have tried all sorts of tunnels,bricks,tubes,hairpin bends,double hairpin bends etc.etc. It has now turned into a running battle every night.
The main problem is that I have to make sure a hedgehog can access the station but not a cat.
This is the set up for tonight:-

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,194

I feed mine a cage/trap. There's a stick holding the trap door open at a height which allows Spikey to get in, but not the poxy cats.
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,942
    Really frustrating madpenguin. I was looking at some various hog houses etc, as I'm making one for [hopefully!] hibernating hogs. One had the tunnel entrance coming right in so that it was quite near the far wall [if that makes sense ]  so that the hog would get round it, but nothing bigger would be able to negotiate the turn. 
    Perhaps you could extend the tunnel entrance  with your pavers and a bit of wood over them? Or turn the square drainpipe [?] into that corner of your wall, leaving just enough for the hog to get round and into the house. Covered with your timber. 
    If I can find the site I was looking at, I'll do a link, in case what I've said is like gobbledegook - most likely!  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,942
    Found it
    https://www.gardenwildlifedirect.co.uk/chapelwood-hedgehog-house.html

If you click on the 2nd pic, below the one that's there,  it shows the interior  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,935
    We had a similar problem with a fox, his antics were caught on camera, and a sight to behold. OH came up with a new bendy tunnel design which has done the trick, similar to what you seem to have done. Let us know how it goes tonight, if needs be, I'll take a photo tomorrow. Our 1st visitor has already been and gone, so l need to put out the 2nd sitting, but.it's too dark to get a good photo now. Hope your system works !  :)
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,672
    Hostafan1 said:

I feed mine a cage/trap. There's a stick holding the trap door open at a height which allows Spikey to get in, but not the poxy cats.
    I have a feeling your cage would not deter this particular cat!!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,541
    We had similar problems and now have a somewhat similar set up to yours Madpenguin ... except the roof of our tunnel is much lower ... the walls are only the height of one brick on its side. That’s high enough for hedgehogs but too low for cats.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Yes,I might have to lower the bricks a bit.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,541
    Also we put the food at the end of the tunnel not in a box, so that a cat has to back out as it can’t turn around. Cats won’t/can’t back out of a tunnel ... but there’s room for hedgehogs to turn around.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,690
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn said:
    Thanks Lyn,I am aware of the dangers of mealworms for hedgehogs,I have them mainly for the birds.I have a proper hedgehog food normally but because the cat eats it and not mealworms (well it did eat mealworms the other night :/ )I have been putting some out for hedgehogs as I can sprinkle them along tunnels to attract the hogs.So used sparingly!

Also we put the food at the end of the tunnel not in a box, so that a cat has to back out as it can’t turn around. Cats won’t/can’t back out of a tunnel ... but there’s room for hedgehogs to turn around.  :)

Could you tell Houdini that please! I have seen myself that the cat backs out of the tunnel!!!

Had neither cat nor hedgehogs last night.