Forum home Garden design

Planting for giant pot

Hello folks
I have a giant pot (internal diameter 1 metre) which I want to plant up with something new. It's to the side of my front door so I'd like something exciting. So far I am thinking of verbena grandiflora Bampton with Erigeron karvinskianus round the outside edge. Can anyone suggest something else to add in the mix, or a completely different idea? It's west facing, sheltered, but obviously anything in it is going to need to be fairly drought-tolerant as I don't want to be watering it every day! (It is big, so lots of space to play with - to give you an idea I have two more of these pots round the back of the house, each with five hydrangeas in them!)

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,948
    I grew Verbena Bampton from seed a few years ago.  Not much going on for the first few years, but this summer it's been fantastic for months with virtually no watering, and still going strong.
    Maybe something with more upright flowers in the centre, for a contrast of shape? Penstemons perhaps?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,901
    I'd go for something like this 

and incorporate some sedums that will trail over the edge.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Sequoia sempiviron or Boabab?
  • ZeroZero1 said:
    Sequoia sempiviron or Boabab?
     :D 

Seriously, lovely pot though, jealous!
  • Ha ha - yes ZeroZero1 one of those would just about fill it!
    Those sempervivums etc look fabulous, Dovefromabove. That and JennyJ's penstemon both great suggestions, thanks.
  • I'd go for something with more height, and architectural shape.  Here are some pots we had in our previous house, from left to right (Chusan Palm, Astelia Westmoreland, Dianella).  All would require not too much water.  What about Phormium's, lots of drama, and fairly low maintenance?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,560
    I think a Eucalyptus Gunnii planted in the middle and pruned and kept at one meter tall would look nice and eye catching with the silvery foliage in the centre. Loose structure but not casting too much shade. They go well with your suggestion of Erigeron Karvinskianus. Diascias come in an array of colours. From the palest of pinks to deep rich and hot colours.
  • Thanks everyone, great suggestions! 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 5,541
    To be easy and economical, I would just put one plant in there... a Geranium 'Rozanne', in the middle and you wouldn't need anything else because of it's spread and rambling/trailing abilities...
    Some Spring bulbs would be nice...