Forum home The potting shed

Sad Fuschias

None of my annual fuschias are flowering now.   Had a few flowers start to appear in July/August but as those flowers finished there have been no new ones even though I’ve deadheaded regularly.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is it due to the hot summer?  I’ve kept them well-watered and the foliage is looking healthy.  Never had this problem before.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,776
    No idea about that, they’ve loved the hot summer as long as you keep the roots cool. Not good in black pots as that stores the heat, fuchsias can be kept year to year, they’re not annuals, if they are not the hardy types you can bring them in a GH for the winter or in a conservatory, cut right down next Spring when you see shoots and they should be ok. 
    As you have healthy foliage it won’t be vine weevil so that’s a worry less.   Maybe you’ve overfed them, what did you use, it has to be a Tomato type feed or you will get all green and no flowers.
     I’ve only fed mine twice this summer.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• My fuchsia live in the GH and have been fantastic this summer, With shading and the doors open night and day. I might have put some outside this summer, but didn't because of a shortage of water.
    Flowering is dropping off gradually now, along with the light levels and they will start to shut down.
    Except for the Triphyllas, that need it a bit warmer than just frost free, so those come into the back porch and I can enjoy them all winter.
    I'm not good at remembering to feed, though |I have once or twice, so like Lyn it's hard to see why yours are failing to flower. I bought some more new ones this year though and there is a very noticeable difference between the growth rates of different varieties, all treated the same. The large flowered ones have taken much longer and made much less sturdy growth than those with smaller flowers. Could that have a bearing on yours?
  • I had quite a few and all of mine dropped all leaves and died!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,776
    There’s a very good article by the RHS on care for fuchsias. Do try again, they are beautiful plants. 
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=579
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks everyone.   Lyn - I did feed mine quite regularly (liquid seaweed for the most part which I believe is high in phosphates (like tomato feed) so should have been ok but might have overdone it somewhat - next year “less is more”!   I will persevere as I love fuschias.  I’ll also check out the RHS site - thanks for the tip.