Forum home The potting shed

Shed vs Greenhouse

What are the features, the pros and cons or each?

Whats your opinion?

I was thinking about improving my shed, then started thinking it would be good to see more of the garden when I’m sitting in it - more glass.  Then about how cold it will be soon, and it would be nice to have somewhere warm to have a morning coffee....hmm, even more glass might help with that.

Im not so keen on “growing my own” that I really want a greenhouse and I’ve moved most of the tools out into a tool shed. I used to do cycle stuff in there too but that’s migrated to the garage.

I can sit in there, I have a large glass desk, a small workbench for simple woodwork, it’s a bit small and the floor is/has rotten away. Taken a few cuttings in there, and have bulbs, a few seeds and woodwork tools.

Ive noticed that I haven’t sat in it since the end of winter, so maybe it just need to be good to use for cold weather.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    If you look online I'm sure you can find sheds that are half and half so you can have a glass wall for looking out on the garden and maybe growing things if you ever get the urge and and a normal wooden wall for hanging shelves and hooks and storing stuff.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,194
    Bascially you're after a potting shed. These were originally designed as a shed with a conservatory on the sunny side so you can laze about in the sun while still having somewhere to hide and bang bits of wood together so the wife thinks you're busy doing man stuff in there whereas actually you're still sat on your arse reading the paper.
  • Summerhouse? 
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,506
    Potting shed maybe summerhouse even...

What’s the benefits of a green house in your mind as opposed to the benefits of a shed?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,194
    Greenhouses are for growing plants but they're terrible for anything else, too hot/cold/damp/dry/not secure etc.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,733
    Summer house with large windows sounds right for you. Double doors for summer put electric in and have small heater for winter . Lots of hanging room but also table for cuttings/potting on, and room to do woodwork in middle . Man cave.😁
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 857
    Summer house with large windows sounds right for you. Double doors for summer put electric in and have small heater for winter . Lots of hanging room but also table for cuttings/potting on, and room to do woodwork in middle . Man cave.😁
    Definitely.
    And sockets mean you can have kettle in there too. Plus biscuits. Mini fridge. World's the limit  :D
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 857
    Bascially you're after a potting shed. These were originally designed as a shed with a conservatory on the sunny side so you can laze about in the sun while still having somewhere to hide and bang bits of wood together so the wife thinks you're busy doing man stuff in there whereas actually you're still sat on your arse reading the paper.
    I need one of these too. Except it will be a woman's cave. Just tidier than a man cave  ;)
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,506
    Do a potting shed is like a normal shed plus a few windows, plus a few thousand pounds?

:smiley: