Forum home Plants

PLANT ID PLEASE

Having total amnesia today and couldn't remember what these 2 plants were, when out in my local park earlier.
Thanks!

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    3rd and 4th is a euphorbia.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    edited September 2018
    The first shrub could be Lonicera Nitida, but I'm not sure on that one still. The second plant looks like Euphorbia Characias.
  • Euphorbia- of course!! Thanks both.

• The first shrub could be Lonicera Nitida, but I'm not sure on that one still. The second plant looks like Euphorbia Characias.
    It looks like the lonicera is often used as a hedging shrub, but there it was left as an ornamental bush (very pretty, actually). Do you happen to know if they flower at all?
  • The lonicera gets little purple berries on it. I don't recall ever seeing one with flowers on it. I had some as hedging but it spread inwards and my garden was getting smaller so I dug them all out. I don't know if it was spreading by branches touching the ground or suckering but it was a right pain. Next door has one though that she's shaped like a lollipop and she has no trouble with it.
  • dappledshadedappledshade Posts: 1,017
    edited September 2018
    The lonicera gets little purple berries on it. I don't recall ever seeing one with flowers on it. I had some as hedging but it spread inwards and my garden was getting smaller so I dug them all out. I don't know if it was spreading by branches touching the ground or suckering but it was a right pain. Next door has one though that she's shaped like a lollipop and she has no trouble with it.
     :) maybe I'll pass on the lollipop shaped version then...
    Sounds vigorous!
    Excuse my ignorance, but for a plant to have berries, must it not have flowered at some point beforehand?
    Thanks for your reply.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    dappledshade, that shrub may be Lonicera Pileata. Very similar to Nitida. It's very hard to see the mature leaf shape because it has been pruned, even though it looks a little rough and natural.

You can see the lighter colour leaves varying from the inner sections. Because it is pruned at least once a year, you are unlikely to see the very small creamy almost insignificant white flowers that form on the inner sections that can sometimes form into berries, but rare unless it's been left unpruned for a few years.

If you want something similar that flowers yearly, there are many types of small leaf Hebes that can do a similar job. 
  • dappledshade, that shrub may be Lonicera Pileata. Very similar to Nitida. It's very hard to see the mature leaf shape because it has been pruned, even though it looks a little rough and natural.

You can see the lighter colour leaves varying from the inner sections. Because it is pruned at least once a year, you are unlikely to see the very small creamy almost insignificant white flowers that form on the inner sections that can sometimes form into berries, but rare unless it's been left unpruned for a few years.

If you want something similar that flowers yearly, there are many types of small leaf Hebes that can do a similar job. 
    Thanks Borderline - good point about the flowers. 
    I have several hebes and love them all.