Forum home The potting shed

Too late to sow grass seed?

I was gonna do it in the summer but decided not to as couldn't keep watering it. Now I was thinking this weekend, but am I too late to sow?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,130
    September is the perfect month to sow grass seed ... the soil is still warm but we get enough rain to keep it moist without too much watering. Now’s the time to get on with it  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    I need to do some sowing where the grass doesn't seem to be coming back, thanks for the reminder :) 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,860
    OH has just bought some to do our front lawn, ideal time. :)
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,929
    Sowed mine yesterday.  Lots of mostly-bare areas where the drought got to it.
  • kev vankev van Posts: 101
    Cheers guys. Might get a chance later today if I'm lucky
  • Our lawns - and we have a fair amount, including 'shared' at the front - are in a terrible state after this summer.  So, we've started this week.  Managed to do one so far, about 45-50 sq m.  We (that is to say, Himself) has scarified it - thank goodness we have a machine! - and then I deep-raked it.  Another pass over with the scarifier and another deep rake.  6 very large garden bags of thatch now resting at the recycling centre.  Then we watered it well before seeding and then a quick re-water.  Even though it looks awful and will for some little time, it is still an improvement on what it was before.
    Today another 25 sq m will be done - plus a soakaway repair.  It's good to get out and work without melting after 5 mins!  We still have 2 weeks to finish it off - if we don't collapse from exhaustion in the meantime! - as we need to get it all done by the last week in September.  As Dove says, the ground is still warm enough for the grass to really take hold (we hope!).
  • kev vankev van Posts: 101
    Now hoping for the weekend to start on the seed. After doing a night shift then a unexpected day shift I think no sleep in 24 hours is a good excuse to not do the sowing today.  Fingers crossed for the weekend