Forum home Tools and techniques

Comfy steel toe capped boots?

LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,996
edited September 2018 in Tools and techniques
Hello all,

I'm going back to college on Friday and need to have steel toe capped boots from day one. I have wide feet and am not very tolerant of uncomfortable footwear (I'm definitely a 'woman in comfortable shoes' ;)) but most places that offer a range of safety boots don't seem to actually have them in stock to try on - you have to order in. I also don't want to spend a fortune - they don't have to be top quality, just suitable and comfortable. Does anyone have any brand or more specific recommendations , or particular features to look out for / avoid?

Thanks.
'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• FritillaryFritillary WiltshirePosts: 466
    I would have said a farming supplies shop but as you are in London it would be a bit difficult. How about Screwfix, they do safety wear but I don't know if they would have them in stock for you to try. :)
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,488
    Even if I don't buy from them, I find the customer reviews on Amazon very helpful to point me in the right direction or narrow down the choice.
    Best of luck with your course

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,813
    Screwfix are the place to try. Have a look on the website and it will normally tell you what is in stock in what local stores. They're always happy to let you try them on and do women's boots/trainers. If you're outside in cold weather don't get steel boots as they channel cold directly to your toes. The composite caps should be just as strong and are lighter and warmer but check the ratings you have to allow for. I just bought some boots from their own brand 'Site' and they're pretty decent, waterproof and light.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,004
    My OH gets his in Farmers shops, big stores that sell everything Farm, his have  nice inside soles, memory foam I think.  I wouldn’t like to wear them though.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,996
    Thanks, all really useful. I had been loking at Toolstation, but Screwfix is just over the road from there so I can visit both quite easily. No farmers' stores round here! Thanks @wild edges for the tip about composite - I had wondered about them for weight but hadn't thought of the warmth aspect. Will certainly see if they're allowed.
    Cheers all.
    - Cicero
  • I also have wide feet and find men’s boots are more comfortable.  I would also recommend Site from Screwfix.  I always wear thick socks with them.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,332
    edited September 2018
    Men's boots are fine if you take about a 6 or bigger.  I needed some safety boots a few years ago for work, and I take a size 2.5 or 3, not something that most places kept in stock at that time.  With a couple of days' notice, the chap at the Arco branch near our office (Leeds) got 3 different styles in size 3 (nothing smaller is made, apparently :s)  for me to try on, even though their website said everything was out of stock.  The ones I ended up getting are only a little bit too big and wide, but are OK with good thick socks.  fortunately I only need them very occasionally for site visits, not for day-to-day wear.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,996
    edited September 2018
    I'm a 6. I was a 5.5 until having babies, now probably heading toward 6.5 - very annoying, but handy in this instance! I will also wear a lot of socks as I really feel the cold :)
    - Cicero
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,043
    I also have site boots from screwfix. ion their second year and although they are not waterproof anymore, still going fairly strong. I also got some steel toecapped trainers when I needed to visit places. I have no problem buying safety gear, being a size 8-9 but horrible trouble buying womans shoes! It's ok in the UK but here in Denmark they stop at a 7...sigh.
    The boots I wear most are my wellies, not only do they have steel toecaps but also a steel plate underneath, great for stopping those old bits of scrap iron one finds on a farm. not sure who made them though.. as they came from the AI guy here :p
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 671
    I believe I saw some ST boots in Sports Direct recently, you just select your size from boxes and try before you buy.  :)