Forum home Problem solving

Using mulch as soil improver on clay.

13»

• madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,536
    Posy said:
    Isle of Wight Compost deliver builder-size bags of horse muck or the locally made garden compost at a sensible price. The horse manure is usually excellent but I haven't tried the compost.
    I have had a builder-size bag of the IOW compost which was great,there was just too much of it for my garden and ended up giving away the excess! I know you used to be able to buy it in smaller bags which would be better for me.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • The membrane has been down for a few years, I have cut into it to add plants but it has roots growing through it .  I would have to remove the clay to add anything under the membrane ( like when I planted mixed in manure and compost to try to help new plants settle in) but it is a heavy clay and hard to work in places. The slate is keeping the weeds down as some areas are full of tree roots too, maple, magnolia, apple and plum, not to mention the Hawthornes in the shady corner. I suppose I need something I can sprinkle or water in to feed, but improving the soil would mean ripping both membrane and plants out and starting again
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,536
    I have now bought 6 x 50lt bags of Levington Original Farm Manure from a local Nursery.
    £3.99 a bag or 3 for £10 which I thought was OK.Also got a bag of Bark Mulch so should be set to get it on the ground over the Autumn and Winter!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings