Forum home The potting shed

Fruit flies.

All summer i have had fruit flies, I thought I'd got rid but just returned from holiday and plague in my kitchen again. Doing my head in.don't know how they started. M st want rid and advice please. I have made traps with cider viniga R etc.

• we have a couple in the kitchen and they come from the compost bin or if we leave some soft fruit out or if the veg basket has an over ripe cougette. Anything that is decaying will allow them to breed. So when emptying the compost bin make sure you clean the sides as there are often eggs present. Any keep an eye on fruit and veg that are left out and make sure the containers are cleaned again to remove any eggs.
    Let us know how you get on.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,775
    Remove anything they feed or breed on. Keep the compost pale outside, keep all fruit and veg in the fridge. Clean up all used dishes immediately. They'll be pretty much gone overnight.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,635
    "Time flies like an arrow;  fruit flies like a banana..."

Sorry...   :D

We've had them around our kitchen compost bucket during the hot weather, and had to keep the fruit & veg waste in a sealed plastic box, instead of the ventilated container, for a month.  Haven't seen one for a few weeks though.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    They made a beeline (sorry not punny) for my elderberry wine while  I was fermenting the fruit  Now the wine is bubbling away in a demi john the fruit flies have buzzed off!
  • Thanks eveyone, but I need to know how to get rid.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,775
    See above..
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    Mine just go if there's no food source. Are they definitely fruit flies and not compost gnats?    How about  putting a very ripe banana in a large glass jar and popping the lid on once they are attracted inside. Old fashioned fly paper should work too.
  • craigbeckcraigbeck West YorkshirePosts: 8
    Fruit flies will breed on any over ripe fruit and they know about it before you. Make sure you remove any you have from the house or any eggs they lay will hatch (they have a life span of about 2 months, usually less). Traps may work, try adding a little over ripe fruit to them. If they are coming from a nearby compost heap then use fly screens on doorways etc..
    Fruit flies are small and usually plump tiny flies but another problem fly as mentioned by tessagardenbarmy is the compost gnat or fungus gnat. These are thinner small flies and fly more erratic making them harder to clap out of existence (we are becoming a musical household with all the impromptu clapping).
    If they are fungus gnats you will find them when you disturb any house plants you might have.
    I had a problem with fruit flies last year but have been vigilant and have had no problems this year. Instead I invited fungus gnats, a much nastier problem but I'm winning that battle aswell.
    At least it's the end of the year and soon there will be no flies.

Good look!
  • RubyRossRubyRoss Dublin, IrelandPosts: 61
    In addition to the above, put apple cider vinegar in a glass, cover with cling film and poke holes in the top. This works really well for trapping the flies and is satisfying to watch!
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,969
    They tend to congregate on the window panes. Squash them with a damp bit of kitchen roll. (Quite satisfying >:)  )They escape from dry!
    Once the source of food has gone, you'll be rid if them within a couple of days.
    In London. Keen but lazy.