Forum home The potting shed

Best knife for taking cuttings?

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a knife to be able to take cuttings. I wondered if anyone could recommend a good quality knife?

Thanks
Craigh :)

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,610
    I use secateurs , then trim with a Stanley knife. 
    Devon.
  • CraighBCraighB Posts: 628
    I suppose a Stanley knife would you the job actually wouldn't it! If it's sharp enough for carpets then it will cut through plant tissue cleanly I bet! :)
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,743
    A small vegetable cutting knife, freshly sharpened.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,288
    Secateurs then a scalpel. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629
    CraighB said:
    I suppose a Stanley knife would you the job actually wouldn't it! If it's sharp enough for carpets then it will cut through plant tissue cleanly I bet! :)

They're not very rust proof though and harder to keep hygenically clean.

I like a swiss army knife for garden stuff. Scissors, saw and 2 blades as a minimum. Keep the small second blade for cuttings only so it stays nice and sharp.
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    I use a hobby knife, but that has made no difference to my success or failure with cuttings. Sometimes a nip between the thumb and forefinger provides a good result, and the hobby knife doesn't. While we are on the subject, rooting penstemons in water has been 100% so thanks for the tip. I am rubbish at cuttings usually.
    SW Scotland
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,906
    I use the disposable craft knives. Six in a pack from the pound sharp. Sharp as scalpels.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Im quite surprised actually at what people use to take cuttings because I thought most keen gardeners would want a proper pruning knife. So I think I may look at some of your suggestions instead like the disposable craft knifes :)
    While we are on the subject, rooting penstemons in water has been 100% so thanks for the tip.
    Purplerain I have never tried this. So your saying it works just by standing them in a little water? Can other cuttings be done this way like rose cuttings?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629
    CraighB said:
    Im quite surprised actually at what people use to take cuttings because I thought most keen gardeners would want a proper pruning knife. So I think I may look at some of your suggestions instead like the disposable craft knifes :)

I've been surprised quite a few times that most gardeners on this forum would rather create more landfill using 'disposable' tools than just buy a decent tool in the first place. The Uk scepticsm of knives is probably to blame here though. Most garden centres don't even sell knives despite them being one of the most handy tools in the garden. In other countries the range of garden or farming knives is massive compared to what's on offer here. I blame the Daily Mail :|