Forum home Wildlife gardening

Every kind of bird!!!

The bird life in my garden has been disappointing to say the least,just a couple of faithful robin's,and a pair of blackbirds.Even through the bad winter we only saw an odd blue or great tit. But I cleaned up all my feeders ready for the cold weather regardless,filling them more with mealworms and sunflower hearts.

This morning however,I have never seen so many various tits even a coaltit,plus a wren,two chaffinch it was an amazing sight! I don't know where they all came from!! They must be able to sniff out the favourite food!
The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.

• lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 331
    I get more birds now I just put out dried mealworms, sunflower hearts and niger seeds. I used to put out peanuts but they never got eaten. Glad you've got more birds coming in😊
  • I went shopping to replenish the seed etc,and to be honest I think what they class as wild bird seed isn't really suitable for the tiny birds,hence I left that off the menu.I bought Robin mix which is a bit smaller,and they seem to like it,but the favourites are mealworms and SF hearts!  I'll put out the suet blocks later.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Pleased to see the nuthatches back this year.
    SW Scotland
  • I use sunflower hearts, fatballs in a holder and peanuts, plus some mealworms and robin mix on a tray, with a fat ball or suet cake for the blackbirds. I don't bother with niger seed now, as the goldfinches prefer sunflowers.
    The garden has been full of birds all summer, with the parents bringing their babies to feed, to the extent I'm a bit worried it's just a kind of Macdonalds for birds!
    The sunflower hearts disappear in a day and the fat balls and peanuts need regular top ups. The woodpeckers like them and so do the tit family members. The chaffinches scavenge the bits that fall and also clear up afte the hens and ducks, who get mixed corn. They eat the little leftover bits, only the stockdoves and pheasants like the big grains.