Forum home Plants

Small type daffs

Having just had a cataract op,I'm confined to no bending down,so been sorting out my dried daffs,ready for planting later.I'm wondering if I should discard the little bulblets? There seem to be a lot of them!
The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,449
    I leave my daffs in the ground, bulblets & all.  I guess if left long enough they'll get to flowering size. 
    Perhaps plant the bulblets out separately, if you have an out-of-the-way place where they could be left to grow on.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • I had tipped these out of pots at the beginning of summer,but I've got a little space in the garden to see if they develop further.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    There’s no rush to get them in, how long do they say now before you can bend forward, it wasn’t long when my parents had both their eyes done.  You have another 4/6 weeks at least before you need do anything with your bulbs.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,423
    I could do anything except swim and combat sports after the first 24hours. I remember it well, a huge thunderstorm destroyed the computer I was entertaining myself with.
    I don't dig my daffs up

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,016
    Daffs stay in the ground for me too except that last year the ground was rock hard from what turned out to be a 15 month drought that ended in December so I put them in pots and troughs.  When I turfed them all out last week to use the troughs for something else I found the daffs already had roots growing so I'd get them in as fast as possible in pots or the ground and yes, if you plant the small ones in a quiet corner they can grow on till they get to flowering size.

All small bulbs should be planted as soon as poss or they dry out and die.  The exception is tulips - which tend to be fatter bulbs anyway - as they can develop tulip fire if planted before November.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks for the advice everyone,it seemed a pity to discard them.

Have been advised not to swim or do my physio exercises for Tendonitis(ouch) for a fortnight,after the stitches are removed from my eye.

Then watch out garden! Here I come!
  • No combat sports? Well that's me out then. I couldn't give up all my combat sports!  
  • Enjoy the improved eyesight, had both my eyes done is wonderful.
  • @cornelly, it's certainly the weirdest op I've ever had,I didn't know what to expect! I don't know how long the wait will be for the other eye!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,860
    V.Gardener - if you still have the pots, just chuck them back in and put some soil/compost over them. Or find a spare container, or anything that will do. You can even do that if they're sitting on the ground somewhere. Pile a bit of soil over them.  Stick a wee label on them though. That will keep them from drying out until you're fit. 
    Don't give yourself any additional stress trying to do something that can wait. It then becomes a chore too far.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...