Forum home Fruit & veg

Making use of your produce

purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,234
Well it's that time of year again. After cold pickling cucumbers to eat during the summer , its now tomato pickle time. This is my first batch, but might not be my last as lots to ripen in the greenhouse.
What are your plans for keeping your harvest. 😁

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 926
    Mmmmmm! Now I'm having visions of mature cheddar and this...
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,234
    Got to be Lincolnshire Poacher cheddar .😋
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 926
    Cornish Cove is my poison, sorry  :p
  • Janet523Janet523 SW ScotlandPosts: 18
    I make raspberry jam and tomato soup to use up the glut of fruits
    Made some raspberry and bramble jelly for the first time,  hubby loves it.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,251
    I'm planning to freeze some of our sweetcorn if we get fed up with eating it but does anybody know if I should cook it first please?
  • Janet523Janet523 SW ScotlandPosts: 18
    I always Blanche my veg before freezing, bring it to the boil, drain and cool quickly in iced water or I just cool it under a cold running tap, drain thoroughly then freeze.
  • I make ratatouille with my tomatoes, basil and courgettes. You can add chilli for an extra kick
    https//www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/french/provencal-vegetable-stew-ratatouille

My freezer is full of blanched French beans , but like Monty am still waiting for half my toms to ripen.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,444
    This year I've made and bottled, salsa (like the stuff you buy in a jar for dipping nachos in, tomato ketchup, plain diced tomatoes, cucumber salad (sliced pickled cucumbers) Asier (a large cucumber that's cut into chunks and pickled) pickled onions, picked red cabbage, redcurrant jelly, pickled chilies (like sliced jalapenos) and to drink we have plum wine, cider, a mixed fruit cordial, elder flower cordial, grape juice, rhubarb cordial.

I have now run out of jars and bottles so since I only have 6 500ml bottles of ketchup I'm reducing the tomatoes down a bit and freezing them in preparation for having the bottles free again. They are joining the tomato soup, pasta/pizza sauce, french beans and peas already in the freezer, if I have to skin another tomato I think I will SCREAM.