Forum home Tools and techniques

Softwood cuttings (take two)

All my softwood cuttings in July were nicked, probably by squirrels, so this is my next attempt.

1. Use mini greenhouse with cover (now the heat wave has gone)

2. Take cuttings of roses, spiraea, lavender, etc. Into plastic bags

3. Trim cuttings appropriately, Dip in rooting hormone 

4. Put in pots (a mix of leaf mould, home compost and potting gravel)

5. Leave in mini greenhouse until spring

6. Check to release humidity, occasionally water

Thoughts?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,308
    If you want to take cuttings of roses, it's most likely hard-wood cuttings at this time of year. You can use heavier soil/compost for them. You can plant them outside too but if you are worried about squirrels digging things up, then keep in the greenhouse.

With Lavender, you will need a lot of grit to create a nice free draining soil for them. Sink them into the edge of pots to minimise rotting and place them in a tray so they can be watered from below. You can also lay a thin layer or gravel over the top to keep top section free of water. Because it's quite late in the season for cuttings, I think the plastic bag covering idea may not be that effective. The plants will be growing much slower anyway.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,472
    If you want to take cuttings of roses, it's most likely hard-wood cuttings at this time of year. You can use heavier soil/compost for them. You can plant them outside too but if you are worried about squirrels digging things up, then keep in the greenhouse.

With Lavender, you will need a lot of grit to create a nice free draining soil for them. Sink them into the edge of pots to minimise rotting and place them in a tray so they can be watered from below. You can also lay a thin layer or gravel over the top to keep top section free of water. Because it's quite late in the season for cuttings, I think the plastic bag covering idea may not be that effective. The plants will be growing much slower anyway.
    I only managed what I believe is Clematis today.  Compost with horticultural grit on the surface.  Followed the GW clip for cutting.

• Don't know if it's of any use, but I put up a video on lavender cuttings. Any feedback welcome.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,472
    Thanks - actually I found last weeks GW to be quite good.  I guess I’m doing autumn cuttings, hard, semi and soft depending on the plant.

:smile: