Forum home Plants

Identify this plant please

• Looks to me a lot  like a datura stramonium aka thornapple. Probably from germinated wild birdseed?  There’s a lot of them appearing this year as the high temperatures encouraged germination. They have attractive flowers and interesting seedcases but they are members of the nightshade /solanacae family and are poisonous. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you so much I’ll get digging it out 
  • Unless you’ve got small ones you’d be worried about why not wait and see it flower. After all, potato plants are members of the same family and their seeds are poisonous too ... just a thought  :)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,860
    Nice Hosta. ;)
    Devon.
  • I’d rather not they’ve got cats too probably best to get rid to be honest 
  • Cats won’t eat it. They’ve got more sense ... but if it worries you ... 

mind you there’s probably other poisonous plants in the garden ... most gardens have several ... it’s just that folk aren’t aware of them  :)

• Cats won’t eat it. They’ve got more sense ... but if it worries you ... 

mind you there’s probably other poisonous plants in the garden ... most gardens have several ... it’s just that folk aren’t aware of them  :)
    Very true.
    From my experience of cats, they tend to eat mainly grass when outside the house, anyway.
    The most toxic plants and most dangerous are lilies (like indoor peace lilies) particularly for indoor cats who will nibble any house plant if they don't have access to the outdoors or any cat grass to chew instead.

• Thanks for your advice I’ve passed it on to my friends and they are going to dig it up I don’t think you can ever by too careful