Forum home The potting shed

Great Dixter

Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,585
Called in to see Great Dixter gardens in East Sussex on Sunday on our way home and loved the place. Very exuberant relaxed kind of planting and very colourful. Had to fight our way through some of the plants in places!  Great nursery at reasonable prices, tea and cakes also went down well - all in all, worth a day out. The Head Gardener/Trustee? Fergus Garrett, had given our local Gardening Club a very good talk a year or so ago and I'd been wanting to visit ever since.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,330
    One of my favourite gardens (and I love the house interior too).  It's a gorgeous garden to visit at this time of year  <3
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,849
    My favourite too.
    Christopher Lloyds books are wonderful too.
    Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,776
    I had a great time at Dixter there this summer. Sissinghurst isn't far.
  • FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256
    One of my top gardens.  B)
  • The spring and autumn plant fayres are good fun too.  Come to think of it that must be coming up soon.
  • Loved it too all that informality but organised. When I went, there was a Cotoneaster Horizontalis that was simply a mass of bees - maybe 500 or more. i prompltly went home and planted one, no luck so far. 
    Bees are their own master I guess...