Forum home Problem solving

MARESTAIL

Has anyone any experience to share in coping with Marestail?
Were you successful in getting rid of it?
Did you dig it out?
What chemical did you use (if any)?
Did you plant vegetables after treating it?
Anything relevant to this headache would be welcomed,
Jonno

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,597
    IMHO, you'll never "get rid of it"
    You might weaken it, you might keep it under control, but,methinks you're stuck with it forever.
    Devon.
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 576
    edited September 2018
    People say it will never go. I lived near railway cottages which were full of it. Every garden, for hundreds of yards, but, its all gone now. Not sure why...
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    House we moved into had it in the front garden but it was bordered by walls on all sides I had the top soil removed, a skip full. Spent nigh on 6 months digging it over and taking out roots which went so far down they came up in the path 3ft lower than the garden, then I put down landscape fabric and stoned the area. Then the following spring as it started to grow just kept digging it up on an almost daily basis and where I couldn't painted on very strong mix of weedkiller. 
    Been moved a year so no idea what it's doing now but doubt if it's gone.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 6,414
    Repeated pulling of the top growth certainly weakens it.  If you have a lot, walking over it to bruise the stems and then spraying with strong glyphosate solution also has an effect.  I've been battling it for a while and seem to be starting to win but it takes a lot of persistence.  There is a product called Kurtail which claims to kill it but I did read a comment by somebody who said the formulation had changed and the new version is nothing like as effective as the old one.  It's also pretty expensive.