Forum home Plants

Your favourite rose/clematis combinations over a front door please!

The house is an 1880's end of terrace brick workers' cottage in north London.

The front door is rather nice - original I think, with a lunette (half moon shape) glass over the top.

No porch. Brick colour is London stock brick (bit yellowy brown).

Front garden will be cottage garden style. Gravel, lots of easy to maintain shrubs and underplanted with as much as I can stuff into it  :D

I'd love to restore the door to its former glory and re paint it. Thinking of dark purple, or petrol blue, or sage green...haven't decided yet.

What beautiful rose and clematis combinations do you have or have you seen, clambering either side of a front door?

I'm not a fan of large flowered clematis, rather preferring viticella types and small flowered varieties anyway.

I love purples/violets/white...and ideally the rose would be a repeat flowerer, scented if possible, white/cream/pink...

Not asking much, am I?  ;)

If you've got some pics of yours, I'd love to see them.

• Bumping
  • Bumping again!
  • Hi dappledshade!

I’m sorry I can’t help you much as I’m just a beginner, but I’m very interested in your query too! I’m looking for something very similar, I’m sure everyone is busy and will get back to you shortly! I hope so anyway, I’m following in anticipation!

Good luck!

Rob

😁
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    I've just seen a photo of your property with the front door on your other regurgitated thread... 
    There doesn't seem anywhere for you to plant in the ground as it's paved.. would you be taking this up or planting in pots?...  also how tall and what kind of support could you put in around your door?  the gaps are quite narrow left or right to the bay window..

Would  you want a rose on one side and a clematis on the other?... I notice your neighbour has what looks like a clematis montana over theirs with trellis attached.. I wouldn't want one of those personally... please let us know a bit more about what you envisage...
    East Anglia, England
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,008
    And which way it faces?  Full sun, part shade etc?
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Sorry yes - east facing, with a very slight northerly tilt.

And of course I'd be taking up cement crazy paving slabs  :) (I didn't think that was necessary to mention). 

Not sure what a regurgitated thread means, in this context either...

But back to roses and clematis - yes, I'd love them intertwining and planted into the ground.

Thank you.

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    aah ok.. .without a photo only you know what you've really got there and what you plan to do, or are capable of doing...  nice house and door, full of character... I do hope you find the roses and clematis  you are looking for... best of luck with your choices.. I'm sorry I can't help you further.. so I hope some other members can chime in with a photo or two for you..
    East Anglia, England
  • Obelixx said:
    And which way it faces?  Full sun, part shade etc?
    East facing with a slight northerly tilt.

Just looking for some good climbing rose/clematis combinations that have worked well for people, and if you have any photos then that would be amazing!

Soil is London clay.

Ideally nothing too rampant as the doorway area isn't huge.

Many thanks.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,008
    Finding a rose and clem combination for that aspect is going to be a challenge as most climbing or rambling roses that would do well are far too vigorous.

Please post a photo and maybe also the width of the space available and the kind of support you will have - wooden or metal arch, trellis etc.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • dappledshadedappledshade Posts: 1,017
    edited September 2018
    Obelixx said:
    Finding a rose and clem combination for that aspect is going to be a challenge as most climbing or rambling roses that would do well are far too vigorous.

Please post a photo and maybe also the width of the space available and the kind of support you will have - wooden or metal arch, trellis etc.
    Thank you Obelixx.
    Here's a photo.
    It's quite a narrow, cottage door, with a bay close by.
    I'd like the plants to grow over the door and even over the bay.

I would imagine I'd need to use wires.
    Currently there is no support there whatsoever.

We haven't moved in yet - it is all very wild and abandoned.
    The back garden has metre high weeds in it...

21T.jpg 387.1K