Forum home Tools and techniques

Cordless lawn mower

• widgetwilk annwidgetwilk ann North NorfolkPosts: 341
    Oh Tin pot I have answered you in your link post, still, how is the mower going?? has it been alright all summer, sounds interesting,
    ZeroZero1 said:
    IMO Cordless lawnmowers are not ready for primetime, to feeble. Too expensive. When I see professionals using them I shall change. 

I understand what you mean, I have a cordless hedge trimmer, it is marvelous, would not be without it. so am hoping a mower might have the same effect on me  :D
  • I have a cordless hedge trimmer - not a cheap one. I have some tall Beech Hedges, about fifty foout long. I thought it would be a lifesavever not to have a lead, as I had to chuck the lead over from my summer house, to do the outside bits. 
    What I found was that the trimmer simply did not cut through the branches as easily as a powered one (previosuly I had a rubbish Black and Decker job 25 years old). So, I went out and got another wired hedgetrimmer. This made swift work of everything and saved time. 
    Moral?
    I think a battery lawnmower would do a good job, until the going gets tough, then it would struggle. I would wait for battery technology to deliver more oomph. 

Just  my opinion. 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,732
    ZeroZero1 said:
    I have a cordless hedge trimmer - not a cheap one. I have some tall Beech Hedges, about fifty foout long. I thought it would be a lifesavever not to have a lead, as I had to chuck the lead over from my summer house, to do the outside bits. 
    What I found was that the trimmer simply did not cut through the branches as easily as a powered one (previosuly I had a rubbish Black and Decker job 25 years old). So, I went out and got another wired hedgetrimmer. This made swift work of everything and saved time. 
    Moral?
    I think a battery lawnmower would do a good job, until the going gets tough, then it would struggle. I would wait for battery technology to deliver more oomph. 

Just  my opinion. 
    Your experience of cordless hedge trimmers is the same as mine.  The cordless offerings are probably OK for keeping a hedge trimmed to shape but don't have the power to do anything resembling heavy cutting.  My corded one will pretty much cut through anything which will fit in the teeth.  The cordless simply jams on branches of less than half the size.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,690
    ann461 said:
    Oh Tin pot I have answered you in your link post, still, how is the mower going?? has it been alright all summer, sounds interesting,
    Hi Ann,

Ive responded in that thread.  All good for me :smile:
  • @ann461 if you want to alert a forum member that you are "talking to them" or referencing them you can use the tag (@) facility and if they have their notifications set appropriately they will get one. It means if you accidentally reply on a wrong thread or whatever they'll get a notification.
    Hit the @ button, start typing their user name and then select their name from the list that appears as you're typing. 
    Practice on me if you like @plant pauper. When I had typed @pl the list appeared.
    @plant pauper what a great site, I aways look at the top near my name to see if there are any new post's, also have alert to my e-mails, thanks for help
  • I have a GTECH, and find it quite handy, on a fairly large area of grass as long as the grass isn't too long and wet, it is light and easy to lift up steps, to the next patch of grass.
    Sounds great @cornelly but a bit over my price range. have defiantly decided to get one next year and have kept all your info and links to help me decide.  
  • BurtsnestBurtsnest North westPosts: 174
    I bought this one this year from Aldi. It's been good so far for me. My garden takes around 20 mins to mow. I can usually just get 3 mows on 1 fully charged battery. Have a look at the reviews as there are a few.  https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-cordless-lawnmower-36v/p/082915202820000#product-reviews