Forum home Tools and techniques

Free and safe Weed Killer

You may think this is a joke but I can assure you it is not. If like me you avoid pouring used gravy down the drains because of the grease and instead keep it in say an empty tin, then try pouring it on weeds. My lawn is full of small brown patches where weeds were once grown.

Another advantage is it avoids poisoning any pets with expensive commercial chemicals. Try it!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,385
    I can think of few things more unpleasant than a lawn with greasy patches of gravy on it ... an open invitation to foxes cats and rats and a horrible potential smelly slip hazard covered with bluebottle flies. 
    Put your cool grease in an old baked bean tin or used yoghurt pot and put it in the appropriate bin for collection. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• If you have brown patches, then presumably there's no grass either!
    Not a lawn I’d like to sit on either  :open_mouth:
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,246
    Is it April 1st ?? 
  • No joke try it on Dandylions but no luck  with Marestail I think I will have to try a little Bleach

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,242
    Why not just make the amount of gravy which your're actually going to use? 
    Where is this shop where they give away  gravy "free"?
    Devon.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,246
    I I personally never have an excess of gravy but would love to know what made you think of pouring it onto weeds? Maybe if it's very salty that's the reason it works but does grass grow back on the treated areas? What about the smell? And flies are surely attracted to the area? Think I would rather have weeds but each to his or her own. Glad you are pleased with your results and thanks for sharing the tip. 
  • It is the grease in the gravy presumably. Do not worry there are umpteen little critters who will eat the grease. Fried bacon is the most potent.
    We consume as much gravy as we make. Left over gravy is in the same category as leftover wine ... does not compute  ;) 

• I trust you all realize if you use some expensive weed killer it will probably also kill the grass.