Forum home Tools and techniques

Store tools in a greenhouse?

Hello all

I have just been offered an allotment plot and I’m lucky that it comes with an 8’ x 8’ greenhouse. The entire plot is 8m x 6m so the greenhouse takes up around 1/4 of the space.

Id rather not put a shed on the plot as I’ll lose more planting space but having a toddler it will be easier to leave my tools at the allotment. Is it a bad idea to store tools such as spades, forks etc in a greenhouse because it can get so humid? This is what my brain is telling me but I’m hoping I’m wrong...

Thanks for any advice

• I doubt if humidity would be your main problem. 
    High visibility and theft would be my worry! 
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,824
    When we had an outbreak of theft on the allotment it was broad beans and gooseberries that were taken nobody had tools stolen apparently the resale value makes that a pointless exercise for thieves! 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,538
    I guess you could have a lock up bin inside or outside the greenhouse.
  • Ok great! I’ll get a box inside the greenhouse! Thank you all for your help!
  • Who would steal broad beans??!?! 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,715
    Who would steal broad beans??!?! 

You'd be surprised.  When my gran was in her 80s she still grew all her own veg.  The scumbags from the house behind her used to come into the garden at night to steal them.  That stopped after she waited in her shed one night and laid into them with a riding crop when they came in again. 
  • Your gran sounds excellent!
  • They're a high value crop - £1.50 at the SM for for enough for a scant 2 portions when podded! Peas are even worse.
    And report out today says poor people can't afford to follow the Government eating guidelines.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,824
    It sounds incredible i know  but the whole allotment was stripped of broad beans and gooseberries overnight that's a lot of fruit and vegetables! 
  • Clearly professionals - goosegogs aren't the easiest things to pick in a hurry!