Forum home Plants

My first attempt at growing a musa

My first attempt at growing a musa ensette 
Put two seeds in soak for 48 hrs in warm water. It took around two weeks to germinate. 
A month later

• Great fun - warning they grow VERY fast - needs repotting very soon
  • That’s a good start and are they some kind of Banana plant? I do like plants that grow Hugh 😊I must be a crazy plant lady🤫
  • Yes puzzle007 it is. 
    Zerozero1 its on my list of things to do. I purchased a basjoo this year and grows a leaf a week.
  • 19mb66 said:
    My first attempt at growing a musa ensette 
    Put two seeds in soak for 48 hrs in warm water. It took around two weeks to germinate. 
    A month later
    Silly question alert !

did you keep the water warm for the whole 48 hours or just when you dropped the seeds in ?
  • Warm for 48 hrs in propagator
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,590
    Where did you get the seeds from? Last time I attempted various bananas, I got absolutely nowhere, even using a propagator.
  • Got seeds from eBay fidgetbones
  • Update on my musa. 

• I can clearly see these musa plants are going to become big,looks well and healthy so keep updating 
  • This is how I did it, put the seeds in a small plastic bag (without holes). Put in a handful of damp mutlipurpose compost. Put it in the airing cupboard somewhere warm but obviously not burning hot - maybe just above the tank. Come back each day and check it. After a week to tow weeks the seeds pop open just like those runner beans in jam jars during your early school days. Easy! Pot on as soon as germination occurs
    This can be done with other exotics.