Forum home Plants

Tamarisk

Just thought I'd share a couple of photos of our 70+ year old tamarisks in flower. Every year we break the branches back to the main trunks to keep them under control and they never fail to come back.

• NollieNollie Posts: 7,511
    Beautiful Jenny, very elegant. I love the feathery leaves.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • Very beautiful Jenny, mine never looks that good! What time of year do you prune it? I've just hacked at mine because it's forever leaning on other plants and over my garden wall, I was unsure if it was the right thing to do but yours seems to be thriving with a hard prune.
  • Karen,
    Wait until the Autumn when the fronds go brown, then just rip the branches downwards at the trunk and break them off - don't cut them. All you should have then is the bare trunk. In the Spring the new branches will grow. We do this every year and never had a problem.
  • I want one. :love:
  • Thanks for the advice Jenny, I hope I can achieve a tamarisk to be proud of instead of keep frowning at it, lol.
  • Haven't actually seen any for sale. Ours go back to when my Husbands parents lived here.
  • I'll steal yours. 
     Just kidding! It is gorgeous though...
  • I'm sure I saw some for sale in a chain store in spring. It was somewhere like Wilkos or B&M packaged in the pot and cellophane way that they sell shrubs and climbers in every year. I think mine was from a thrift type store years ago for about 3 quid. Its one plant I've never tried taking cuttings from but I may well give it a go.
  • Jenny128 said:
    Just thought I'd share a couple of photos of our 70+ year old tamarisks in flower. Every year we break the branches back to the main trunks to keep them under control and they never fail to come back.
    It’s perfect in that spot.  I’m tempted to try it now, it’s unusual texture and leaf-form would add contrast to my boring evergreens.
  • More photos from ground level. Trees are about 12' tall at present.