Forum home Plants

Can anyone ID this plant please?

Hi folks
Not been on here for a long time so apologies if I should've added this question to another discussion 
About 6 years ago a lady I used to work with brought some seeds back from Sorrento Italy and managed to grown 3 or 4 small plants.  She gave me one of these and I left that job shortly after. 6 years on its now 3 ft high... looks like tree and is deciduous.  This year I've kept it inside in semi shade and it's kept all its leaves. I haven't the foggiest what it's called and I've never er seen leaves like it before or since. It would mean a great deal if anyone out there knows or indeed has one of these?, I never keep it outside. The stem is sticky and it's very slow growing with 6 inch leaves. FINGERS CROSSED and thankyou . Chris. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,393
    that's more of an arty photo than an ID photo :)
  • Haha!.. sorry it's my profession by day ( and night ).. I'll attempt to add the whole thing... the stem is about 2cm thick at the Base tapering to a thin wiry tip. The leaves sprout straight from the stem so there are no branches as such. In winter if I keep it in full sunlight just a stem remains until March when it comes alive again
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,481
    edited September 2018
    I think it's Graham's Manihot (Manihot grahamii)  .... not a plant I know but I remembered the leaf shape from this post a few days ago

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1021704/grahams-manihot#latest

https://myjunglegarden.com/2015/12/manihot-grahamii/#.W45JLPlKjIU

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi Dove
    I can see the similarity with the leaf shape but mine has 5 lobes on a single leaf on each stem. It also doesn't form this clump like shape.  The leaves are shiny on one side and dull on the reverse
    Oh dear ...  :/  Back to the drawing board ... this time literally ... I'm in the studio today lol
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks !..  enjoy .. don't forget to keep those pencils sharp. . although I'm sure it's all digital now  B)B)
    Like a terrier with a bone I am  ;)

What about this one?   

http://www.backyardnature.net/mexnat/manihot2.htm

Thanks !..  enjoy .. don't forget to keep those pencils sharp. . although I'm sure it's all digital now  B)B)
     Nope ... charcoal, canvas, oil paint and linseed are the stuff of my day  B)

• Wonderful... love the smell of linseed in the mornings  ... I think you've nailed it!... I'm going with a wild manioc. . It has the same 5 lobes ... now I am gonna try and grow it to 5m tall and impress the neighbours.  Thanks a million  :):)