Great Crested Newt in the garden!

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,675
Just popped into the garden and found this Great Crested Newt on the path!
We have a Great Crested Newt reserve about a quarter of a mile away but have never seen an actual newt before before and didn't realise they were so big.I have common newts in the garden and have 2 ponds (fish and wildlife) but chuffed to see this one!

It does have 4 legs but one is tucked under!!
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,676
    Great to see ... we used to have a lot on our smallholding in Suffolk.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,436
    It looks quite big!  I wonder will he stay in your garden?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,737
    Nice :) They should be heading from their summer ponds to their hibernation spots about now so maybe yours is looking for a good place to spend the winter.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,675
    Nice :) They should be heading from their summer ponds to their hibernation spots about now so maybe yours is looking for a good place to spend the winter.
    I hope so!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,676
    'Ours' used to somehow get into the back kitchen/utility/porch and try to hibernate under the coconut matting door mats ... we'd find them squashed and desiccated when we took the mats up in spring to spring clean .... no wonder they're rare ... not a very well developed sense of self-preservation  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,228
    What a gorgeous creature, I'm envious  :o