Forum home Plants

Viburnum opulus roseum

debs64debs64 Posts: 5,126
I have ordered some of these plants as the advert said fragrant but is this the case? I know some viburnum smell
amazing but not all. Have I been made to look like a fool? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,421
    Certainly not fragrant like the pink winter flowering ones
    The sad part of V. o roseum is that it used to be called V. o 'Sterile'. ie sterile, no fruit. Whereas V. opulus itself has lovely fruits

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • debs64debs64 Posts: 5,126
    Grrrrrr.... how can they describe a plant as fragrant if it isn't? I thought as much maybe I should contact the company and complain before they arrive??? 
    Company contacted plants cancelled refund arranged! Thanks for the heads up nutcutlet. Saved me a few quid now I can buy something scented! 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,421
    :) 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,144
    debs64
    Maybe of no help whatsoever , but many years ago in my parents garden they had a large Viburnum carlesii ; heavily scented with pure white flowers . Perhaps worth considering ?
    https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=4246

Thanks  Paul  I know many viburnum are highly scented and that's what I wanted and will look out for instead. This one was advertised as fragrant but apparently it isn't. The perils of buying online! Off to a plant fair tomorrow so hoping to find what I want there.