Forum home The potting shed

Hellebores

Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 644

They're all looking a bit leggy and gangly... should I cut the whole lot down now (even though the leaves are still very green and lush)?

• B3B3 Posts: 15,969
    I was wondering that too.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,837
    I wouldn't touch them now.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,585
    I wouldn't. Try a can full of water first and see if that makes them more perky. 
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 644
    Ok, will do, thanks. I have several of them under a large tree, and they are all just looking really messy atm!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,776
    I have to say, I don't really get hellebores. They seem to be very odd creatures.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,913
    I would give them a good soak. Next month, you could pot up or move some of those seedlings you have around the base.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

@fidgetbones Hmmm... I usually just bin the seedlings...! 

@Fire And yes, they can be odd, but they do their job at filling a difficult patch under a tree. May get some more geranium phaeum to add in this year, too, as they seemed to do well there last year...
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    you need some Cyclamen hederifolium for right now
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,776
    I think maybe I just don't have the right kind of dappled shade for them. All mine are slug ridden or haggard or sun scorched or not flowering and the leaves look dreadful for most of the year because of any or all of these things.
    @Fire Hmmm... I've had mine for years, and they are beautiful when in flower in the winter/spring, after their annual prune, but for the rest of the time they do look a bit bedraggled.

@nutcutlet I'm gradually introducing other shade loving plants into that area to give a bit of interest, and have put a couple of cyclamen. I may add some more.