Contents of bird nesting box

RosemarySRosemaryS Posts: 6
edited September 2018 in Wildlife gardening
I cleaned out our bird nesting box today and found this inside - see attached photo.
The blue tits used it frequently over the past couple of years and built up a thick, mossy nest, although without ever laying eggs. We have a small camera inside the box, so we can view the birds via the television. 
They left suddenly last year and I decided not to clean it out last autumn, rightly or wrongly.  This year there were no birds flying in on a regular basis.
Could this possibly be part of a wasps' nest?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,311
    One of the carder bees, I think.

I was really hoping that the specs had been discovered in the nest box though.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thank you!

Haha, the specs were for measurement only.....but it has been known to find 'lost' specs in the flower bed.  
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,234
    I was thinking:"how on earth did a blue tit manage to get those specs through the hole" 
    DUH.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,576
    Thought they might have belonged to this chap

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Looks like tree bumble bees to me

https://youtu.be/wWgNwWIqKrE
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,690
    I'd go with tree bumblebees as the most likely culprit too but it's definitely bumblebee larvae chambers. Were there any dead bees left in there? I've had a few in my nest boxes over the years and there's quite often a few dead worker bees left behind after the new queens leave.
  • Yes, I have just found one.  Thanks for all the replies.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,690
    You may have already done this but if you put a handful of wood shavings in the box it helps to keep it clean and encourges birds to use it to roost over the winter. Turn your camera on after dark on a cold evening and you might see birds in there, assuming your camera sees in the dark.
  • Yes, it does!  Thank you, I will try that. 
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    :) 

The tree bumbles finish around July so it’s all expected. I wish I had them here.