Forum home Tools and techniques

Just forked out for a new fork. Stanley and Neverbend.

124»

• FireFire LondonPosts: 12,165
    edited September 2018
    @sabeeha - did you go for Bulldog in the end?

I have looked at quite a few of the above mentioned brands selling spades but none of them have a lip.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,284
    Put ‘treaded spade’ into Google for lots of options.
  • I've had cheap forks and have always found that the tines bent easily in my heavy soil and they scarely saw a season out.
    I eventually bought a neverbend fork, which really did live up to the name and it never bent.  I did eventually manage to snap the wooden handle trying to dig a large arum lily out of the ground.  It had lasted about 8 years though, so I still felt it was worth the initial outlay.
    I think the neverbend forks have a 15 year guarantee, so it is worth keeping the receipt (I couldn't find my receipt when mine snapped, so I couldn't use the guarantee).  I did replace with another neverbend fork.
  • a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 893
    I hadn’t thought about the guarantee, I’ll find it now! I’d be delighted if mine lasts 8 years, as it is very stony soil. I’ll look into bulldog as well though when I need something else. The prices look good for quality items. 
  • sabeehasabeeha Posts: 276
    edited September 2018
    Fire said:
    @sabeeha - did you go for Bulldog in the end?

I have looked at quite a few of the above mentioned brands selling spades but none of them have a lip.
    @Fire

Yes, I went for their stainless steel range 

https://www.waitrosegarden.com/product/_/pedigree-border-spade/classid.2000028436/

https://www.waitrosegarden.com/product/_/pedigree-border-fork/classid.2000028769/

The spade has a tread on it. Just google/search for 'treaded spade'

Bought it when there was a small discount on!
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,538
    I have just treated myself to a "Planting Spade" a narrow headed spade specifically for planting in a crowded boarder or to use in hard or heavy ground.  It is made by Kent & Stowe Carbon steel with Ash handle and a lip on the tread to protect your boot. 10 year guarantee. Fraction of the price of a Bulldog (approx 1/3), it will be interesting to see how it works out in practice.
    AB Still learning

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,941
    We have one similar to that with a long narrow blade which I think is intended for digging post holes (OH bought it donkeys ages ago).  It's useful in a tight spot but too long for me to use more than very occasionally (short-a**e here).
  • what a lot of people don't realise about stainless steel is it work hardens and the more it flexs the more brittle it gets ,carbon steel is made to flex , I use a spade that dad bought and used for 30yrs  and iv'e used it 10 yrs ,its a  Spear & Jackson Never Bend and it aint bent yet! DD.