Forum home Problem solving

Terence Price

I live in Spain and have a lovely Sago Palm in a large pot. The root growth is pushing the plant up out of the pot now and I wonder if I can safely take it out of the pot and cut back the bottom of the roots so that it will fit back in the pot?

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,217
    Maybe get a bigger pot? 
  • Thanks anyway Debs but it is in the biggest pot sensibly available here and will be a two man job to re-pot it anyway.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,583
    Can it not go in the ground?  or do you need to be able to move it out of frosts in winter?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks for the suggestion but our garden is mostly hardstanding with narrow beds around the perimeter so no suitable place to plant in the ground.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,253
    Yes, you should be able to root prune it - it works for agapanthus. When you've got it out of its pot, cut the bottom third off the roots with a saw, put some fresh gutsy compost in the bottom of the pot, replant it and then give it a good water.   Alternatively google on "root pruning of sago palm"  and see if anything comes up.  Good luck. 
  • Many thanks Lizzie, just what I wanted to hear. Will check google first but will definitely give it a try.