wildlife mini pond

saradelpozosaradelpozo County DurhamPosts: 35
Hello,
inspired by a couple of frogs I found under my decking I decided to try to help nature an create a pond, not for fish, just for whatever wants to use it. Not qjuite finished tough, waiting for some pebbles to make it more accesible.

I just have aquestion: a  fair bit of  garden soil has fallen into the pond. I know it's only been a week but I have the feeling the water is not going to clear.
Should I try and remove the soil? would it kill my plants? do you think anything will be tempted to use it?

Thanks, Sara

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,925
    Garden soil should settle eventually I would fill it with oxygenating weed and leave it be for a while. 
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,224
    Hi Sara, all the soil will do is boost the nutrient levels of your water. This may well cause an algae bloom where the water will turn the colour of pea soup. However, this will be a passing phase and as I can see you already have plants in there, those higher plants will start using the nutrients themselves and a good balance in your pond's ecology will be established. Just looking, you could add more. Perhaps a small lily and some oxygenating plants such as hornwort. You could even plant the latter straight into the soil already in your pond. I keep hearing about only aquatic soil should be used in ponds but I used normal top soil and have crystal clear water. Good luck. 
    PS - yes wildlife will be tempted. You may well have water boatmen after only a day or two. 
  • saradelpozosaradelpozo County DurhamPosts: 35
    thanks debs and fishy.

I'll get some hornwort. The other plants were  more for photo effect but I'll have a go at planting them. My friend has frogbit, should I get some from him? the pond is rather shallow (not quite a foot) and I'm not sure that lilies would like that.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,468
    edited September 2018
    Mine is about 1/3 the size of yours and this year home to six frogs. Any number of froglets are around about in the hedges. They gather and commune at night. I have to be careful not to tread on them at night.
  • saradelpozosaradelpozo County DurhamPosts: 35
    I hope I get those frogs back, thinking of making a frog shelter nearby as well, I have logs and a tree in front of the house that sheds countless twigs an small branches
    Frogbit would be ideal Sara. A foot depth would be ok for a small water lily, though there's nothing to say you have to have a water lily. There are many marginal plants you could have. Marsh Marigold, purple loosestrife, cuckoo flower, water forget-me-not, lesser spearwort. Yes lots of prunings and general composting material is ideal shelter for amphibians.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,966
    It's looking fine Sara  :)
    Some good planting round the pond to provide cover is ideal for wildlife. Include some evergreens. Things like Caltha [marsh marigold] are ideal, as they'll grow in soil as well as in margins as Fishy mentions, and a few ferns and grasses. Plants which hang over the pond edges are also good. Hostas, as well as the ferns and grasses are perfect for that. 
    Bundles of your twigs and branches are great, so pop a few of those around for insects to hide in. The frogs will enjoy them too. I have a few quite flat stones by mine, and the wasps and hoverflies love sitting on those on a sunny day. Nice and warm for them.
    I have a tiny water lily and you can certainly grow them in shallow water. I had to move mine as it wasn't really getting enough sun, but it would be perfect for a spot like you have there. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,925
    I have a tiny fountain in mine it's solar powered and really helps to keep the water clear. Mine is half a barrel partly sunk into the soil to give you an idea of size 
    I've got something similar Debs, the bottom half of a plastic dustbin sunk into the ground. I sited it a short distance from the pond to give the frogs another option.