Growing Feijoas in the UK

Im a Kiwi living in the UK, and desperately miss this fruit from back home-nothing reminds me of summer more than the heavy fruit laiden trees, the wafting smell and the yummyness of a fresh Feijoa. But they don't seem to exist in the UK?! Can they grow here? Any tips for someone who would need to grow them in a pot due to limited space? Is it possible?

• There is at least one seller of the trees in the UK, and they seem to be hardy here. However, I have never seen them growing and I have never seen the fruit for sale, but I would certainly like to try them!

https://www.paramountplants.co.uk/plant/feij/feijoa-sellowiana.html 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,209
    I think the only one you'll find in the UK will be Acca (new name) sellowiana (aka Pineapple guava) which will only ripen outside in a long hot summer, so it probably doing ok this year.  Growing it in a pot is probably best in the UK anyway as you can bring it inside during really cold spells (only hardy to -12C.)  I tried it from seed intending to grow it in the conservatory which is probably the only reliable way to get ripe fruit here.  Unfortunately no germination but might try buying a plant now your post has reminded me.  :)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I've had a tree for about 5 years now, in a big pot against the west wall, as instructed for this climate (I'm in the South East). It had a couple of flowers 2 years ago, a few more last year, then around 10 this summer, quite late on. I messed around with the flowers hoping to pollinate, and lo and behold there's fruit on it! It's very late though and it probably won't ripen now. The fruits are only about an inch long but I'm thrilled and have covered it with fleece and crossed my fingers. I'm also a kiwi and miss the taste. I found them at Borough market once and paid $2.35 for one but it was worth it.
  • mtaukirimtaukiri Posts: 1
    I know I'm a few months late to the party but here's my feijoa stories...hubby bought me a feijoa tree last Feb and we planted it right before the beast from the east hit! Needless to say we thought we'd killed it 😩 To our surprise and probably thanks to our super hot summer (we're in Southampton) we got a couple of flowers and new growth (see pics) in November. We also went to Marwell Zoo after Christmas to find feijoas on trees and the ground (pics again) next to the tiger enclosure. I've been going to Marwell for 14 years and had no idea they were feijoa trees! (Not gardeners but we try). Dunster Castle near Minehead also has feijoa trees. Anyway I now have hope for feijoas here. We bought our tree from paramount nurseries. It's pruned oddly to Kiwi eyes, but now growth is coming in at the bottom I have hope. We're planning on buying another but we'll go for a much cheaper (and less trimmed) shrub next time. Give it a go you have nothing to lose.