Forum home Tools and techniques

Cuttings

I believe I've passed the ideal time to take softwood cuttings but is this still possible if I were to keep them in the conservatory over winter?

I've got some fuchsia, french lavender and erysimum bowles mauve I was looking to propagate. 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 8,259
    Go for it. Give it a try.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,994
    At this time of year try half hardy cuttings rather than soft. Pop them round a pot in gritty soil and put them somewhere sheltered. Fuchsia ones will root in water on the kitchen windowsill. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • What would be the advantage of that over a softwood cutting if the conservatory is an option?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,385
    edited September 2018
    The point is that at this time of year not much soft growth is available for cuttings, as this year’s growth will have begun to ripen/harden by now. 
    I recommend using side shoots to make semi-ripe cuttings ‘with a heel’ at this time of year. Lots of videos online 🙂
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ah so it's not the success in question, just purely the availability of those potential cuttings in the first place. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,385
    You’ve got it 👍

Different types of material means different types of cuttings 🙂
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I'd known about the different methods, just didn't realise it was the availability that dictated, thought it was more to do with success rates before winter.

• I took some 6 days ago and mine are doing fine. Plenty of growth to use. Give it a try.