Forum home Plants

Is this fuchsia hardy?

B3B3 Posts: 27,353
edited September 2018 in Plants
I was given  this fuchsia  as a present. 
Does  anyone  know  if it's  hardy?
I suspect that it isn't. 
The centre of the blossom is a deeper lilac  than the picture  but it's not  purple 

PS How can you tell? Is it the leaf shape?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• I wish I could help you with a definite answer but I can only say that I suspect it's not hardy too, I'm sure I had one that looked the same that didn't survive winter. They are really easy to take cuttings from though so maybe you could multiply it just incase and keep some of the cuttings inside. Someone else may be able to identify the variety and answer you definitively though.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,432
    I'd say not hardy, the larger flowered ones rarely are

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,353
    I'll probably bung it in the porch. I daren't let it die!
    Thanks Karen.
  • I used to throw a couple of fleeces over my Standard Fuchsias and tie it well round the trunk in the winter,but never moved them to the GH,I lived on the south coast then,and they always survived,so maybe fleece yours when it gets really cold?
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • JemulaJemula Posts: 195
    Looks a bit like Display which is said to be hardy, but didn't survive the beast earlier this year.
    Jemula, it does look like 'Display'. VG Thanks for fleece suggestion.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Mine didn’t survive this winter and it was in the GH.  I always take lots of cuttings this time of the year so to make sure. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I'll take a cutting or two. They're pretty easy to do if I remember rightly. Lyn.