Monty’s garden scissors

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,102
    I wasn't recommending it just showing the type, that one is the Jackoti, but I know Monty has a liking for Japanese pruning tools which have the hair type springs. I think the idea is that like secateurs they self open so you just squeeze to cut. I don't use any of them just ordinary shears & scatters. 
    AB Still learning

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,247
    Allotment Boy, I know it wasn't a recommendation from you, but couldn't help commenting at the idea of scissors being loaded with springs and then used like a pair of pliers.

It looks uncomfortable to use for simple light cuts, since most of the time, you will need to rotate your wrists without any proper grip which scissors offer. It's easier just to control the cut for cutting down of perennials. 

I must admit I didn't even notice what he was using. But I would imagine he must get inundated by companies begging him to use their products. The hat thread confirms that.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,735
    A bit like Delia' s cranberries
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,707
    It always makes me chuckle when they show the inside of Monty's potting shed.  There's a row of god knows how many trowels all slightly different in size and shape.  I'm guessing he's been given them over the years, but how many does one man actually need?
    A big wide one: a narrow pointy one; a medium - sized one to use while you look for the one you've lost
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,516
    edited September 2018
    I would say I need at least five trowels, all identical, that live in different places so that I don't turn the air blue looking for one. I do the same with secateurs. I have around ten, judiciously placed around the house and garden for limited swearing. I have a beautiful new set of Falco's that I just look at by the back door. I worry about leaving them outside.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,782
    Before it housed the trowel collection, there were 10 pairs of Felco secateurs hanging there. I wonder if it broke rules on " product placement" or " advertising"
    I've never owned more than one trowel at any given moment. Maybe I'm just too tight to buy more?
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,021
    I have two trowels, but one of those was already here. I only use a bulb trowel. Ideal for getting into small spaces and down into stony clay soil when needed. Which is quite often.
    I have proper secateurs, a pair of snips [ideal for all deadheading and cutting string etc] which were about a fiver, and an old pair of big scissors for various other jobs [wallpapering/dressmaking scissors are great for the garden]  I also keep the old secateurs for doing things like cutting wire or opening tins of paint. 
    I keep everything in one of those grooming kit trays. Easy to shift around with me. 
    I don't think most people need lots of fancy gear. In a big garden, you need to be able to take enough with you to save going backwards and forwards, but then you would use a wheelbarrow or similar.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I use one of those rectangular paint buckets to carry my stuff aroun