Monty’s garden scissors

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain the garden scissors Monty was using to cut back the alchemilla mollis in last night’s programme.  They looked to have a longish blade but the ones I’ve seen have short blades and are for cut flowers. 

• No sorry. I use cheap scissors from discount stores because I'm always leaving them outside. They come in a pack of 3 and the biggest pair are ideal for jobs like cutting alchemilla.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,030
    Not certain as I missed some of the programme but if they are the ones we have seen him use before then they are Japanese style  topiary scissors. You can get them from the Niwaki catalogue they are expensive £100 + for the long ones. You may be able to find them elsewhere but look there first to see if they are the ones you are thinking of.
    AB Still learning

• B3B3 Posts: 10,532
    I use large old scissors for cutting the edge of the lawn when I'm weeding, or for cutting back things hanging over the grass or trimming dead iris leaves and smaller scissors for dead heading. 
    I've never  heard of gardening scissors. Are they different in any way?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,030
    Well the tools I am thinking of have medium length shear shaped blades but have a spring like secateurs
    Kent and Stowe 70100491 Large Topiary Snips something like this
    AB Still learning

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,692
    Jakoti do a good set of hand shears that are similar to the niwaki ones but a bit cheaper. I've seen some bargains on Amazon via their warehouse deals if you keep a watch on them.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,472
    edited August 2018
    I use regular kitchen scissors which stay in the garden. They are one of the most useful tools, it turns out.
  • cvhcvh Posts: 12
    Kitchen scissors sound like the answer. Thanks. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,692
    The plastics on a lot of kitchen scissors don't do well with exposure to sun so be careful what you go for. There's a few companies that make ones with metal handles or you could go for dress maker's shears instead which are really tough and more comfy to use for long periods.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,754
    I have a pair of ARS 190mm Fruit Picking Shears which are very good for cutting back and light pruning
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,240
    Another vote here for the relegated kitchen scissors.
    Devon.