Forum home Problem solving

Has my Buddleia successfully thrown a seven?

ie have I killed it.
Every year it gets blown over in the first strong wind of the autumn. It couldn't even be bothered to wait for that this year and just jumped. I've cut it back hard (There's lots of nice stuff growing all round it so if it totally fell I don't want to break any of that) from about 15 feet to 5 and staked it as if it was a vampire. Will it make it considering it probably shouldn't be pruned in August or am I best just giving up on it and replacing.
Thanks.

• gardeninglily1gardeninglily1 Posts: 424
    edited August 2018
    Hi Dave, Is it the Davidii or globosa? The davidii is as tough as old boots and can withstand anything -even a prune down to the ground. The globosa doesn't need much pruning at all. Just the odd branch cutting down to ground level to rejuvenate. Maybe prune down to a bud but only just after flowering or you will lose the following years flowers. 

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Are you entirely sure it's a buddleia? Just checking.
  • dave125dave125 Posts: 178
    Hi,
    Yes totally sure, it's davidii which I grew from a cutting about 5 years ago. I have around 8 on my property but this one flowers and grows amazingly and is the only one guaranteed to have at least 1 Hummingbird Hawk-moth on each year. It just grows so much that it's roots can't take it and each autumn it falls over. It's no exaggeration to say it grew around 10 feet this season so I would like to save it. I'm a bit confused though could we clarify that it is likely to survive now it's staked but will it flower next year because it's no use to me if it's not going to. I can just plant a cutting in it's place which will be the same size in two years. Thanks.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    edited August 2018
    From what you describe, your shrub is thriving. It's simply toppled over and you have pruned it back, so the new growth will be shorter. I don't think you need to stake it for the regrowth. Your plant may be growing in soil that is too fertile, hence all the toppling over. 
  • Whereabouts are you? I'm in NW england and we cut the Davidii hard in spring (March). We prune them to a couple of feet high and they put on 8-10ft of growth in a season. You could give it another prune in March. Tough plants! :) 
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    tough, but they do fall over in windy places. I think a stake would be a good idea for yours BEFORE it topples! Prune as suggested, make it secure and enjoy lovely flowers and butterflies.
  • dave125dave125 Posts: 178
    Thanks guys!