Forum home Plants

Cactus/Cacti advice

• BurtsnestBurtsnest North westPosts: 174
    Thank you @Paul B3 there are some stunning varieties on there especially the Melocactus. Hopefully I will keep mine happy.  I'm looking forward to seeing what stage it goes through next if any.

The other cactus I have is below. (I bought them together) This one seems happy too.

The succulent below that I have had for a couple of years however this year has gone mad. Double the size and developed pink hinges on the tips. There's no roots coming through the bottom of the pot however I'm wondering what soil it is. Just for future reference. 

Pst.. ..  I hope I'm not pickling your brain 😆
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,912
    As far as I can tell , your succulent (2nd pic) is an Echeveria of some kind .

I am no expert on these , but there are literally hundreds of species , varieties , hybrids and cultivars available .The Japanese have bred numerous forms of these 'red-tips' .
    Sorry , forgot your cactus !
    Pachycereus pringlei (Cardon Cactus) fits the bill here . Native to Mexico and Baja California , they can attain colossal proportions in habitat . Very variable , some have virtually no spination , others are 'fully-armoured' . Grow fast in g/house conditions ; full sunshine and plenty of water throughout the summer months .
    Hmm.......am still a bit dubious regarding the succulent ID .
    Jeez they can grow huge (in habitat) thankfully. 😂 as for the Echeveria I see what you mean. Having a quick look there are lots that seem similar. Most seem to be in the soil up to the top of the neck of the plant. Mine looks like it's trying to climb out of the pot. One thing I do know it hates water even the smallest amount.  I really appreciate your time with these though. They are fascinating .
    My time is of no consequence if it helps people ID their plants ; thanks for the the thought anyway :) Echeverias are almost impossible to identify correctly .

I still grow a few cacti in the greenhouse ; using what I name a 'semi-hydroponic' method , they're growing in a 95% grit / 5% organic compost mix . Drainage is perfect , but retains enough moisture for good growth . I liquid feed with MiracleGro ! The less organic compost the better as this reduces the chance of root rot .
    My biggest worry now is over-wintering , they get no water whatsoever between October - April , but they're too large to move around .
    Heating is too expensive nowadays , and I think maybe a plastic lining idea in the greenhouse , plus candles lit to keep above freezing on the coldest nights may be the only way from now .
    Good to hear from you again ; keep posting regarding progress with your cacti , and if I can help in any way , message if you like !
    That sounds like a dilemma. I have a small plastic greenhouse. I'm now trying to pack out the gaps at ground level of it as it has no floor (it's on very dry soil in a part of the garden) so to try to draught proof it ready for winter. The plastic lining sounds good. Luckily I can bring my cacti in however being on a large old house its still not the warmest. Thanks for the mixing ratio above. Good luck with the greenhouse. The things we do for our plants 😆
    Sorry  , just got in !
    Yes , potentially very worrying especially after the 'Beasts' struck in March just when it seemed Spring was approaching .
    Hopefully we'll escape with a mild winter .
    Good luck with your plants !

@Paul B3 hi, could I have your advice yet again please.  Another Cactus I have seems to have developed a pink top. Is this due to flower? (See pic) P.s the Melocactus is flowering again 👍 
    Hello again Burtsnest !

They look like healthy Pachycereus pringlei plants ; the reddish spines are simply new ones , and will fade to the normal yellowish colouration .
    They have to reach almost tree-like proportions to flower .
    Glad the melocactus is OK !
    Forgot to mention , P . pringlei is exceptionally variable ;can look like different species sometimes .