Forum home Plants

Seed bombs?

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,923
Hi all, I have 100s of seeds from my digitalis plants. I walk past a lot of overgrown weedy areas on my way to work, would love to see foxgloves growing on them. They are what is called "brown field sites" old industrial parks etc and a canal. Are seed bombs a good idea and if so how do I make them? Don't want to harm the environment but the bees love my foxgloves and they would look pretty. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,881
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991
    Or just scatter as you walk - aka Miss Wilmott's Ghost.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,363
    I researched seed bombs some years ago and it seems that the success rate for them is very low. The bombs dry out and the seeds die. Foxgloves might have a better rate of success as they can take so easily.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,881
    That's what I was thinking, Fire.  Any type of seed which is best sown directly on the surface should work;  Foxgloves and annual poppies being two which immediately come to mind.  However, we're probably both on some sort of gov watch list now after using those search terms! :D  
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,363
    :D
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,492
    I would just sprinkle the seeds now and let the winter rain do the work of mixing it into the soils.  
    Utah, USA.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,923
    Will do, and I will let you know how it works! Thanks