Moving raspberry canes

Richard168Richard168 Posts: 106
I have to move raspberry canes in the next week or so. The area I am moving them to is currently grass. Apart from removing the grass what other preparations should I make to the ground like adding well rotted horse manure?

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,076
    I did the same sometime ago and dug up some canes and planted them in a row and they thrived 
    The roots go sideways and not very deep to allow a good 18 inches between canes.
    Find out if they are Summer or Autumn fruiting as the times you cut them down each year varies and will affect the following years production.
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,780
    You could consider mixing in some blood, fish, and bone meal as well.  I would mulch with the well rotted manure, and let the winter rains and worms take it into the soil.  It will help suppress the weeds and grass roots.  
    Utah, USA.
  • Richard168Richard168 Posts: 106
    Thanks.

i read today that raspberry canes only last 8 to 10 years and as I have had them 2 years and I don't know when they were put in I am thinking about just putting in new canes. 
  • Richard168Richard168 Posts: 106
    I am thing about putting in two rows of raspberries about 20ft long so am planning one summer and one Autumn. However I am also going to put next to it a row of trellis and so far I am going to grow a tayberry on one trellis but what other soft fruit are good to put against a trellis?
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 249
     Wouldn't have autumn and summer raspberries next to each Other.  They spread sideways a lot...a LOT.    I'd do 10ft double wide of each.
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 249
    I've had very poor show of them this year, on sand and obviously due to the draught.  With better soil and mulching you would be fine. Or a lot of water...mine are nowhere near a water source and my hour of watering each night just couldn't stretch to them.