Forum home Garden design

Painted trees ?

• B3B3 Posts: 17,501
    edited August 2018
    Some bunch of knitters got together a few years ago and knitted miles of tatty scarf which they wrapped around the trees outside where I work. They stayed on the trees for months and made me angry every time I looked out the window :#
    In London. Keen but lazy.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,365
    I liked the limewash.  It helps against pests and also protects the bark from sunburn and looks good in moonlight too.  Seen it done a lot ind private gardens in Belgium and France tho it used to be far more widespread in orchard growing areas before all the pheromones and other insecticides came along.

I also liked the white roses but I found all those grasses, all over everywhere in the garden, were over done and boring.   Have to wonder too about how usable that large outdoor table under the plane tree canopy would be - drip factor after rain in a normal year?  Don't fancy apéro or lunch or dinner with water dripping down the back of my neck or wet seats.

There's a hospital in La Rochelle that encourages patients to knit tree socks as therapy

They are then fitted to trees and posts and low fence rails in a nearby pblic garden.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,702
    Some interesting comments , all down to personal taste , in the right setting it looks good 
    Have seen white painted trees in hot countries , thought garden looked very good 
    Knitted items always bring a smile and liven things up , think it is called
    “ yarn bomding “

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,506
    Tree socks :lol:
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 9,356
    Traditional orchard trees they are, I would say.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,365
    Gardeners rarely grow trees in their natural form.  They space them oddly, combine them with unlikely partners, prune away stems from the trunks, thin out canopies, pollard or stool them, scramble climbers up them, turn them into cordons/fans/espaliers/lollipops/cones...........   

Clever gardeners can make all that look natural but it isn't.   Clever designers can paint pictures and create moods with positioning and combinations and forms but gardening is all about the placing and tweaking and messing with soil to grow the stuff we like or that suits our local conditions.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I've never seen painted trees but I certainly don't find the idea as offensive as scarves around trees , glitter on plants or dyed flowers.

I saw a thing on the net about people hanging scarves on trees so that people who needed them could help themselves. I think that's a great idea. There was also an organisation in London that collected unwanted coats from commuters. I hope it still exists. 

While we're on the subject - sort of. If people need to put flowers at the scene of tragedies, why don't they take the plastic off first? The flowers would look better for a start.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 9,356
    "Gardeners rarely grow trees in their natural form."

Obelixx, yes indeed. It's all managed. Gardens, parks, even forests are managed spaces. It's all to create a romantic illusion of the natural or the wild. I don't think delusion helps much. It's good to acknowledge that, as Obs says, we paint with plants and landscaping. I love wild flower meadows and woods, but remind myself that in the UK there is nothing 'wild' about them; nothing 'natural' about sheep on a hillside or a field of corn waving in the wind.  Romanticism has a lot to answer for.

I don't much like wool bombing or streetside shrines because they look so tatty.