Forum home Garden design

Painted trees ?

• Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    Lime washing trees goes back hundreds of years and possibly even into pagan times there are certainly records of trees being painted at Hampton court, and other great houses in the early 16th century. 
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  • Jules41Jules41 Posts: 178
    I think it's just a matter of preference.  I like my plants 'as they come' -  I don't like cut flowers or cut Christmas trees either (always feel sorry for them gasping for life) - it's probably just me! 😆
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,980
    Takes all sorts to make a world Jules  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 18,756
    Here's another way to gild the lily :/

In London. Keen but lazy.
    😨😲
  • karen paulkaren paul Posts: 230
    I kind of liked it but I think silver birches with au naturel  trunks would have been better.
  • Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    Like you @karen paul I think birches would of been nicer but I think Anoushka wanted the curved shape of the Osmanthus Armatus.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,547
    Just keeping them cosy B3  ;)
    Not seen it yet - but I'm wondering if it's more exciting than the giant gooseberry grower last week  :D
    Jules - Christmas trees are a valuable crop - like wheat, or potatoes or anything else. It's a massive, and much needed,  industry up here in the north. Buy one and feel good that you're keeping someone in a job   ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,980
    Fairygirl said:
    ... Jules - Christmas trees are a valuable crop - like wheat, or potatoes or anything else. It's a massive, and much needed,  industry up here in the north. Buy one and feel good that you're keeping someone in a job   ;)
    and also so much better for the environment than an artificial tree ... it's a crop like any other ... harvest it, decorate it, shred it and use it as a mulch  :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

It's just me then - I'm the only tree hugger on the forum ! 😃😃😃 (i don't have an artificial tree either) 🎄🎄🎄🎄