Forum home Plants

Ziziphus Jujuba

13»

• DinahDinah Posts: 278
    I have a blissful smile on my face just sitting here dreaming about it all Paul.

I did my first dissertation in collage about ethics within a doomsday scenario called "Ethics, a view from the moon". I worked through a hierarchy of things that might morally require saving along each stage of a string of increasingly fundamental acts of (humanly induced) destruction, according to different and competing philosophical standpoints. It ended with a few bits of rock and a cloud of dust floating in space. The last ethical dilemma was whether a person (watching from the moon) should save these for posterity, or for sentimental reasons from an existential viewpoint.

Asteroids don't have to worry about all that stuff... :D

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,912
    By all means preserve the bits of rock and dust for posterity , bury them somewhere on the moon , or send them into deep space via a Voyager like probe with the warning :- "Remnants of a beautiful planet , unfortunately destroyed by humankind" .

A sobering thought here ; in the late 70s the Voyager probes were launched ; after breathtaking images of the outer planets they are both heading out of the solar-system at approx. 39,000 mph .
    At that velocity , Voyager 2 will be approaching the vicinity of Sirius (8.5 light years away , and a close neighbour by astronomical standards ) around the year 296,000AD !!!
    Puts us into perspective !
  • DinahDinah Posts: 278
    Certainly, it's a long time off for those (erroniously) hoping that something out there might come along and sort it all out for us.  :D Not that they'd want anything to do with us anyway considering our past record. We'd have a flashing sign next to our planet on any space map saying "Forget it, top species in food chain very nasty!"