Forum home Plants

Linda T

I have a few Japanese anemone plants in my south facing garden which bloom every year, but mine do not spread and I want them to !

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    You needn't look at me. Everyone else needs to weed them but I can't grow them.  :(  The weeders will be along soon.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,743
    Mine aren't doing well either. I find they need a large amount of watering and mine respond quickly to that. I put mine in last year and I'm surprised they still need watering every few days, as they are in retentive earth but this seems to be the way.
  • Always been a problem for me, they grow feebly, yet my father had them romping away under an old privet hedge! Maybe they need abuse?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,288
    Mine are in bloom and the patch is increasing in size without being overly rampant ... however they’re on my Shady Bank not in full sun. I’ve always understood that they’re plants for shade
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,610
    I keep trying to dig mine out, but there's always some there the next season.
    Devon.
  • GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 248
    I moved mine into the shade last year and this year they have put on  lovely show - much better than before.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,610
    Mine is the very ordinary pink one, but I'm tempted to buy "Honorine Jobert" Dare I?
    Devon.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,329
    That is a lovely one @Hostafan1, l find it's not as rampant as the pink ones, but that might just be my luck !
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    I have Whirlwind Hosta. Little bit shorter than HJ, and semi double flowers. Very nice.
    Mine have struggled this year because of the dry weather. I can normally have them in very small spaces as they get plenty of moisture, but they've missed that. The Acteas are very late too, and I've put it down to that. Only starting to form flowers in the last couple of  weeks.
    The one along the back fence has been trampled a bit by the hog family though! I expect it'll recover for next year.
    Perhaps you could relocate some Linda, and see if it makes a difference. Nice moisture retentive soil and a  bit of shade, and see if it helps.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks, yes I think I will try and move them 👍