Forum home Plants

Avacado from seed- leaves browning?

I have an avacado plant which I have grown from seed, however I have noticed since the warmer weather, it has browned leaves and feel burnt? This has hindered the growth and shape of the leaves. I am just wondering does anyone know how or what this is a result of? Hot weather from July or salt problems? If anyone has any idea I’d be greatful. 

Also it’s a young plant only about 6months old and sits facing southwards on a window sill.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,288
    edited August 2018
    I think it's caused by too dry an atmosphere.  I found misting helped when I grew them.   This may be helpful https://www.thespruce.com/grow-avocados-indoors-1902590 

:) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,513
    Have you any idea of the eventual size of an avocado tree?   30' to 40' average?   What will you do with it when it's too big to be a houseplant?

They are grown in the tropics where they get at least 2000 hours of sunlight a year plus high general humidity.   They don't like cold and they don't like hot and dry either.

Maybe try bonsai?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,288
    edited August 2018
    The thing is to keep pinching them out ... cut back the height and then nip out the growing tips from each sideshoot and make a bushy houseplant ... and when it's nearly as big as you want it start anther one off ready to take over when you chuck its predecessor in the bin.   :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The thing is to keep pinching them out ... cut back the height and then nip out the growing tips from each sideshoot and make a bushy houseplant ... and when it's nearly as big as you want it start anther one off ready to take over when you chuck its predecessor in the bin.   :)
    Thank you! This would be my plan as to how I can maintain it. I know many people with successful avacado plants, that have done this .I will try also! Do you think I should take of the leaves that have burnt or leave them whilst new ones grow :)
  • The thing is to keep pinching them out ... cut back the height and then nip out the growing tips from each sideshoot and make a bushy houseplant ... and when it's nearly as big as you want it start anther one off ready to take over when you chuck its predecessor in the bin.   :)
    Obelixx said:
    Have you any idea of the eventual size of an avocado tree?   30' to 40' average?   What will you do with it when it's too big to be a houseplant?

They are grown in the tropics where they get at least 2000 hours of sunlight a year plus high general humidity.   They don't like cold and they don't like hot and dry either.

Maybe try bonsai?
    I think dove from above has a great example of how I can maintain it. :)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629
    Obelixx said:

I'm gonna need a bigger house...

Good tips, Dove. Mine is thriving on a south-east facing patio door cill in the kitchen. I guess the cooking steam keeps it happy. I'll be sure to keep it misted though.