Forum home Plants

Planting a columnar cherry tree

I would like a flowering columnar cherry tree in my garden but am worried it may get too big. How far from the house should it be planted? What is the best time of year to plant one?

thank you.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,215
    edited August 2018
    My Ama-no-gawa is planted all of 4ft from the back wall and has caused no problems in over 30 years.
    However the the house has been here for over 300 years and doesn't have modern foundations, or walls. Any earth movement I think it just shrugs off, and hunkers down again, with maybe a bit of a crack showing in the plaster, which is less flexible!

Autumn is the best time to plant if you can, or very early spring, after the worst of the cold, but before growth starts.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,790
    See recommendations for space/trees/ buildings.

From Link below... 

https://www.localsurveyorsdirect.co.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/treesdraft060227.pdf

SpeciesNormal Mature Height (M)Safe Distance (M)
    Apple / Pear1210
    Ash2321
    Beech2015
    Birch1410
    Cypress2520
    Cherry1711
    Damson1211
    Elm2530
    Hawthorn1012
    Holly146
    Horse Chestnut2023
    Laburnum129
    Laurel86
    Magnolia95
    Maple2120
    Oak2430
    Pine298
    Plane3022
    Plum1211
    Poplar2835
    Sycamore2417
    Spruce187
    Walnut1814
    White Beam / Rowan1211
    Willow2440
    Yew125
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 374
    How far from the house should it be planted?

What is the best time of year to plant one?

how far? the recommended distance is huge overkill, i'd be very comfortable at 3m from foundations, 4m would be better.   I have experience of dealing with subsidence problems in my work over the years and i also had a subsidence problem myself once.   if you're not in London (almost all on clay), don't have shallow foundation bay window, and you reckon you're not within a clay belt and drains don't run right there under the planting area...then frankly just plant the Cherry.  don't plant a Willow that close, that would be dumb.   Cherry's are very very slow to grow anyway, plus you could prune in 30 years if it was causing too much shade.  

as for time of year....right now is great.  or within the month is ideal, it means the ground is still warm enough for a few months so that roots keep growing and get established.  if not, wait until spring has sprung.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,578
    Those distances look really far too much - I wonder what they are based on. Pressure from insurance companies perhaps?