RHS level 2 exams

Did anyone else get results today? I passed the level 2 Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development. Did really well in 3 exams but only just scrapped 1 of them.

Has anyone done the level 2 in Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance? I'm thinking of doing it next so that I achieve the level 2 Principles of Horticulture. If you have done this one, did you sign up with a college or do self-study? What books would you recommend? Is there one that covers most of the course? The reason I ask is that I did the one I've just passed using mostly one textbook with a little bit of online research. I'm wondering if it is feasible to do the same with this one.

Simon

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,888
    Congratulations on your results.
  • SlumSlum Posts: 268
    Fire said:
    Congratulations on your results.
    Thanks Fire. My first exam results in many years  :)
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,529
    Blimey!  Yes, I did - thanks for the heads up, I thought the results were coming out on the 16th. I did the same one as you in February, and just got the results for Planning, Establishment and Maintenance. 

I have to confess, I (and pretty much everyone on my course) found it much harder to get a handle on  this course than the previous one. Partly because while it's possible to find all the relevant information in your own research, there's no single textbook. But if you did this exam purely by self-study, I'm sure you can do the same again. You need to look very carefully at the learning outcomes and past papers - and make your own plant lists for every category.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    Thanks LG. Interesting to hear your perspective. Which books did you find useful? Any to avoid?
    edited August 2018
    It's difficult to recommend anything in particular, as most gardening books cover some of the syllabus - it's much broader and dare I say it vaguer than the Plant Growth etc certificate. I used the first few chapters of an RHS garden design book (https://www.bookdepository.com/RHS-Essential-Garden-Planning-Construction-Christopher-Brickell/9781845330590) for stuff like triangulation and site survey, which was useful. You need a lot of detail about planting timing, depth and spacing for individual veg and fruit crops, plus names of specific cultivars. And so on - do look closely at the requirements. 

I would suggest looking at the revision notes on the Edinburgh Garden School site to give you some guidance: http://www.edinburghgardenschool.com/revision-notes/
    - Cicero
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,384
    Congratulations to both of you.
    Thanks Lizzie.

Also thanks LG for your thoughts. I've looked at the course spec and it does seem to involve a lot of memorisation - about 100 plants for different locations. Not sure I've got the inclination for that. Next step is to have a look at the exams to see if the amount needed to be memorised can be reduced. 
    It can't really. You can duplicate as much as possible (using your biennal examples as examples for a mixed border / patio / cottage garden etc., your alpines for a rock garden / containers / exposed area etc. and so on... but it does come to a long list nonetheless. The trick is to use plants you have or know well already, in as many categories as possible, so you don't have to learn them from scratch. 

And thank you Lizzie :)
    - Cicero
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,728
    Well done to both of you - great to hear of exam success 👏🏻🙌🏻👏🏻
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • I know I am a bit late to this, but just wanted to let people know of additional costs involved in distance learning. You will need to book your exams at an official RHS centre. The RHS fees are £16 per exam for Level 2 and there are 4 exams per qualification. So for both qualification2 that adds up to £128 on top of your course fees.

And to add to this, every college I know who accept external candidates charge an external candidate fee. My college charges £50 per exam - so add another £400 for that. Although I know some colleges charge less for the external candidate fees but there will be a charge.

And, just so you know the RHS fee for Level 3 exams is £26 per exam.

Rob