Peter Salanson

My lettuces are immediately going to seed and my pea plants are dying. Could this be because the compost I used is predominantly grass cuttings, with approx one third tree leaves? Perhaps the PH is wrong?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,234
    Couldn’t you get any soil or compost Peter? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 648
    Where abouts do you live in France Peter? Why are you trying to grow things in just grass cuttings and tree leaves?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,333
    Neither of these plants does well in hot weather and both need moisture retentive soils to grow well.   All our salads bolted once the heat started in mid June.

I'm planning to sow peas this autumn - like sweet peas - and grow them on in spring to see if I can get a crop before the heat starts next year.   They'll get a mix of bought compost and our garden soil and will be watered and mulched.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • My lettuces are immediately going to seed and my pea plants are dying. Could this be because the compost I used is predominantly grass cuttings, with approx one third tree leaves? Perhaps the PH is wrong?
    I am using compost,as I said, but perhaps I should have spelled out that it is from well rotted grass cuttings, leaves etc! The soil is apparently high in clay content and the lettuces and peas are well watered every day.The lettuces are exposed to much sunlight.

I live in Authon, nr Tours
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,333
    Not that far from here then really and I too have mostly clay soil with odd bands of sand but have put my veggie plot on a parcel that's been cow pasture for centuries and more recently a donkey pasture.   Last year I had great success with salad leaves planted in early autumn in a sunny spot but they needed a lot of watering.   

This year I planted them in spring on the shadier side of the polytunnel but all the Cos and a lot of the Tuscan and Provençal mixed leaves bolted as soon as the heat wave started in July.    I really do think your problem is heat related, not compost.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,240
    My peas didn't fare well this year either, and planted in deeply cultivated clay, improved over the years with lots of well-rotted manure.  I'm sure it was simply down to the weather - they don't like it hot and it's recommended to grow them below about 21C.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Peter, the compost that you make has no nutritional value, it’s to use on your ground as a soil improver. Plants won’t grow in that alone. 

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 648
    Some French gardeners shade their lettuce with sheets over them to keep the sun off. Mine always bolt in the heat and peas are a waste of time down here as it is too hot and dry.
  • I am using compost,as I said, but perhaps I should have spelled out that it is from well rotted grass cuttings, leaves etc! The soil is apparently high in clay content and the lettuces and peas are well watered every day.The lettuces are exposed to much sunlight.

I live in Authon, nr Tours
    But that isn’t compost Peter it’s mulch.  Plant won’t do well in that alone.  Keep digging it in your clay soil for improvement.