Forum home Plants

Beginner non-toxic small outdoor plant to bury dead fish in?

marcpglnnmarcpglnn SwanseaPosts: 9
Hello! :)
Do you know of any beginner, non toxic outdoor plants?

We’re thinking of getting a plant pot and soil to bury our dead aquarium fish in but we feel like it will be quite empty on the surface so it would be nice to have some sort of plant there.

We would prefer it to be outdoors, a small beginner plant as my family has no experience in gardening and non-toxic as we may plan on getting a dog and also I wouldn’t want any neighbourhood cats getting poisoned.

Thank you and have a good day! :)

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,999
    edited August 2018
    Er, not sure I’m keeping up here.

Can you not bury your dead aquarium fish in the ground, with a decent service and flowers?

Do you have a tremendous number of dead fish? Have they all died at once or do they do it on a regular basis and, if so, in what numbers and with what regularity?

If you are intent on burying them in a plant pot with a plant on top, are you intending to lift the plant out of its pot each time there is an interrment so that the fish may be well and truly buried? Or will the fish be scattered around the rim of the pot? If you are going to lift the plant each time,  I think the plant itself might be going to the great compost heap in the sky fairly quickly.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,610
    pansyface said:
    Er, not sure I’m keeping up here.

Can you not bury your dead aquarium fish in the ground, with a decent service and flowers?

Do you have a tremendous number of dead fish? Have they all died at once or do they do it on a regular basis and, if so, in what numbers and with what regularity?

If you are intent on burying them in a plant pot with a plant on top, are you intending to lift the plant out of its pot each time there is an interrment so that the fish may be well and truly buried? Or will the fish be scattered around the rim of the pot? If you are going to lift the plant each time,  I think the plant itself might be going to the great compost heap in the sky fairly quickly.
    That's the funniest post I've ever seen. :D
    Devon.
  • marcpglnnmarcpglnn SwanseaPosts: 9
    pansyface said:

We can’t because our garden has no lawn or soil, only these stone tiles with some soil in between.

My family has had the tank for over a year and few months now and at times, there were disease outbreaks that killed many fish. We currently keep the dead fish in tissue in a small box. There hasn’t been any deaths for a few months now but you never know. 

If you are intent on burying them in a plant pot with a plant on top, are you intending to lift the plant out of its pot each time there is an interrment so that the fish may be well and truly buried? Or will the fish be scattered around the rim of the pot? If you are going to lift the plant each time,  I think the plant itself might be going to the great compost heap in

At first, I intended on having a plant pot with soil and a plant on top. I was planning on just burying the fish slightly under the soil around the plant, with no intention of pulling the plant out every time. 

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it! :) 
    I get at what you mean so now I’m just leaning on towards putting a rock on top of the soil instead. But if you do think it is possible on a plant, please say your opinions. Thanks. :)
    Can't you just put them in the bin?
    Devon.
    Hostafan1 said:
    Can't you just put them in the bin?
    I could but I’d just feel bad for putting their bodies in with the rubbish. :)
    maybe I'm missing something, but would the fish mind?
    Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,999
    I’m sure the fish have no strong views on the matter.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Hostafan1 said:
    maybe I'm missing something, but would the fish mind?
    I don’t think so but hey, they were still living things and id think it would be more respectful if they were buried :D 
    pansyface said:
    I’m sure the fish have no strong views on the matter.
    That's kinda what I was thinking.. They'll end up buried in landfill , problem solved.
    Devon.
    I have to say this, out of this forum, the fish and dog forum, this has to be the funniest forum so far. Thanks for making this so enjoyable :D