Forum home Plants

Can anyone recommend a shrub (or two)

sabeehasabeeha Posts: 276
edited August 2018 in Plants
Good morning :)

Ive been clearing away a part of my garden that was fun of mildew infested plants and some out of control soapwort.  There are still lots of roots to get rid of, but in the meantime I would really appreciate some recommendations for some medium sized shrubs (or one) in the space I have created.

What I like:
- Evergreen, with all round interest (berries, flowers etc.) 
- In terms of appearance...I like dark and light foliage...I like laurels, choisya (the one with with light green/yellow fleaves)) I also like plants like photinia...I like succulent looking leaves, or waxy leaves... 

My garden faces north-ish, but it is not shady.  The shrub will be planted in between a young (and poorly) amelanchier candensesis and a holly tree, near a fence.

Here is a photo of the spot:

I would appreciate and welcome any ideas! I guess I am looking for medium sized shrubs (so a lot I like are not an option), and nothing too delicate (namely kids kicking balls in it, although being near the front, it may be ok!).  

Thank you :)

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    Skimmia!
    Big long waxy (laurely) leaves, flowers followed by red berries and tough as old boots.  :) Mine is about five ft by five ft.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,054

There's a photinia "Little Red Robin" which is supposed to be a smaller version of Red Robin.  Mine was bought earlier this year and is in a pot waiting for autumn planting so I can't confirm its actual size, but the label says 1m high and 1m spread.

Skimmias don't get too tall either.

Try this for more ideas https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=845

• sabeehasabeeha Posts: 276
    Plant pauper Just looked up skimmia, it looks perfect! Visually, thats exactly the type of plant I was looking for, thank you very much! :)

JennyJ the little red robin sounds great, I will see if I can source any. Thank you!

Will have a look through those suggestions definitely, but I was hoping for the useful extra little info everyone is so good at sharing here :)
    Is there anything that can be put up against that fence, that has a more tall and slimline form, and can fit behind that fence? and be happy in a bit of shade with shrubs in front?
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    Cotoneaster horizontalis will grow flattish up the fence. 
    Pop in a Rowan and a pyracantha and you've got my previous front garden and no maintenance!  :D
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 374
    Sarcococca - perhaps not as tall as you might prefer, but you mention it's in the 'front' which might mean you pass by it daily?  Sarcococca is known for it's winter scent, is evergreen.
    plant pauper - thank you for the suggestions! I had forgotten about cotoneaster.  No space for a rowan unfortunately! :) I like to potter about in the garden, but my current garden definitely lacks some low maintenance shrubs!

upnorth thank you, will have a look :)
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    Rhododendrons? 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,240
    edited August 2018
    I agree with Upnorth, Sarcoccoca shrubs are great for winter scent. For a more airy look, Nadina Domestica can offer all year interest. From small creamy flowers to red berries and foliage that is green but turning red. The shrub is more or less evergreen if your area is sheltered.

For the back wall, slim growing usually means wall training shrubs for me. A Pyrancantha wall trained can add maturity with evergreen glossy foliage and contrasting berries. But, the ornamental quince, Chaenomeles Japonica/Speciosa always look good wall trained, and a bonus of quince fruits in autumn.

If you are thinking of wall trained, always think about access to the wall area first, since you will need to prune and train often to keep it growing against a wall.
  • Tony HironTony Hiron Hemel HempsteadPosts: 13
    I don’t it’s name but has yellow flowers in spring, red berries in summer that turn black for autum/ winter. It’s easy to grow and spreads easy. It’s one of my favourites and always full of interest.